The 60/40 Layout And Other Railway Related Things

This is as far as I've got with this build, I'm now a little stuck as the light's I need to finish it haven't arrived, hence no roof's yet but there all painted and ready for fitting still got the drains to fit, which I'll do later tonight. Oh! and the gap between the walls has now been fixed

20221027_173754.jpg
20221027_173814.jpg
20221027_173901.jpg
20221027_173930.jpg

Well it's done, finally, it seems a lot of work for one building, but more likely just old age creeping in I think.
Still have a little tidying up to do, odd glue marks etc. but overall, quite happy with the way it turned out.

20221029_221728.jpg

The roof weathering doesn't come off very well I'm afraid.

20221029_222053.jpg

And of course, the obligatory lighting.

The exterior light's, I've realised are too low, they should be about 1/2" higher I think.

20221029_221346.jpg
20221029_221429.jpg
20221029_221449.jpg
20221029_221513.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll start on the two storey goods shed, done the prep work, so now a case of assembling and adding various goods.

G'nite Folks.

Well it's done, finally, it seems a lot of work for one building, but more likely just old age creeping in I think.
Still have a little tidying up to do, odd glue marks etc. but overall, quite happy with the way it turned out.

View attachment 154991

View attachment 154992

The exterior light's, I've realised are too low, they should be about 1/2" higher I think.

View attachment 154993View attachment 154994View attachment 154995View attachment 154996

Tomorrow, I'll start on the two storey goods shed, done the prep work, so now a case of assembling and adding various goods.

G'nite Folks.
That structure looks fantastic, great job!

View attachment 154991

View attachment 154992

View attachment 154993View attachment 154994View attachment 154995View attachment 154996

G'nite Folks.
Nice job Smudge! Before you move those lights a tad higher, try dimming them a little bit first and see how that looks. What era is your layout? Mercury Vapor has been around for YEARS although those are usually up higher on pole; think street lights in the USofA. High Pressure Sodium's did not happen until around 1970 IIRC. That being said, most lights were incandescent which means they are more or less a warm white type. Maybe this is picking nits YMMV.

Later

Nice job Smudge! Before you move those lights a tad higher, try dimming them a little bit first and see how that looks. What era is your layout? Mercury Vapor has been around for YEARS although those are usually up higher on pole; think street lights in the USofA. High Pressure Sodium's did not happen until around 1970 IIRC. That being said, most lights were incandescent which means they are more or less a warm white type. Maybe this is picking nits YMMV.

Later
Nearly all the lights are warm white, the interior are warm high brightness ones (X2), all are independently fitted with resistors, but any higher and they become too dim.
I'll see when I get it onto the layout, I can always add a higher resistor onto the power feed if needs be.

I'm not modelling any particular era, just what I like.

Second goods shed is finished, more or less, just the usual tidying up to do, no glue marks, as this doesn't need any, few touch-ups on the roof to do, fit the Gibbet loading crane, as well as some weathering.

I've noticed that I've put the wrong light in the upper storey, but I can live with that for now, I'll change it further down the road.

Ground Floor.

20221030_155814.jpg

20221030_194945.jpg

Upper floor.

20221030_201434.jpg

20221030_202946.jpg

The rear doors did not come out well, I'll have to re do them at some point in the future.

20221030_203003.jpg

20221030_204337.jpg
20221030_204352.jpg

Last edited:
OK, changed the second story light to warm white, and the dock workers turned up for work today too

Thanks to Dave (logandsawman) and Mike (MikeGTW)

20221101_194348.jpg
20221101_194321.jpg

ctclibby
mentioned the light's being too bright, with the small light I use for "night operations" you hardly notice that there even on, so I'm leaving them as they are.

OK, changed the second story light to warm white, and the dock workers turned up for work today too

View attachment 155168View attachment 155169

ctclibby mentioned the light's being too bright, with the small light I use for "night operations" you hardly notice that there even on, so I'm leaving them as they are.
Smudge: It wasn't that the lights are/were too bright. It was more getting the lights a little dimmer as when you do that they *appear* to be further away from you and their height won't be as noticeable. They are small so you probably are right in just leaving them alone.

Later

Smudge: It wasn't that the lights are/were too bright. It was more getting the lights a little dimmer as when you do that they *appear* to be further away from you and their height won't be as noticeable. They are small so you probably are right in just leaving them alone.

Later
Yeah, I understand what your saying, and it's a valid point, but I'll be about 4' higher and a minimum 3' away from the structure so none of the lights bother me, and with a back-light behind me, you really need to look hard to notice most of them anyway.

The only reason I put them so low on the structure was because I'm so used to everything being in OO scale that that would be I would usually mount them.

I've got a couple of 12v dimmers that are sitting in a box I need to dig them out for an idea I have for the diorama, (thinking of maybe a couple of spotlights looking up at the bridge) so I'll play around with them.

Last edited:
Yeah, I understand what your saying, and it's a valid point, but I'll be about 4' higher and a minimum 3' away from the structure so none of the lights bother me, and with a back-light behind me, you really need to look hard to notice most of them anyway.

The only reason I put them so low on the structure was because I'm so used to everything being in OO scale that that would be I would usually mount them.

I've got a couple of 12v dimmers that are sitting in a box I need to dig them out for an idea I have for the diorama, (thinking of maybe a couple of spotlights looking up at the bridge) so I'll play around with them.
Someone said you could paint the bulbs of the LED lights that are too bright, like the brilliant white ones I purchased from China a few years back.

Well, I tried it and it works!!~!!!! Wife said light was too bright in one of my buildings and I took it out, painted it with Tamiya yellow paint, next day put it back and it faded it looks great! Really softened it and made it more realistic looking.

easy trick, found it on the Forum

Someone said you could paint the bulbs of the LED lights that are too bright, like the brilliant white ones I purchased from China a few years back.

Well, I tried it and it works!!~!!!! Wife said light was too bright in one of my buildings and I took it out, painted it with Tamiya yellow paint, next day put it back and it faded it looks great! Really softened it and made it more realistic looking.

easy trick, found it on the Forum
Dave that's an idea I can try, thanks :)

View attachment 155168View attachment 155169

ctclibby
mentioned the light's being too bright, with the small light I use for "night operations" you hardly notice that there even on, so I'm leaving them as they are.
Them some good looking workers about time they got something done Where's the foreman guy ?? Probably having coffee in the office

Nice scene and I like the building and lighting Great job keep it up

Them some good looking workers about time they got something done Where's the foreman guy ?? Probably having coffee in the office

Nice scene and I like the building and lighting Great job keep it up
Thanks, I'm going to run the lighting thro' a dimmer just in case. The foreman seems to be delayed somewhere, and one of the workers also seems to have done a bunk, coz I can't find the beggar anywhere????

Back