The 60/40 Layout And Other Railway Related Things

Smudge617

I've decided after two years I want to do more with my layout and am going to restructure parts of the track, one idea by Jazz was to remove the TT and add a disused building and track, which I liked. This is what I have now.

top layoutcomp.jpg

The black lines represent a disused track that has been torn up, I have few track pieces that are that, pieces. I'm thinking of taking the TT out and replacing it with one of these kits, but unsure which one, as it needs to look both like a building in the US and the UK.
machine shop.jpg
Tera surplus.jpg

At the other end I want to remove the turnout in the top left (Red 1) and move it across (Red 2) as at the moment, the turnout is inside the tunnel, so any problems mean removing the tunnel, my first thought was to move the turnout closer to the other turnout on the right, but I can't get to it to add a point motor, either surface or under and fitting a manual or servo control also won't work without major surgery underneath, which is way beyond my capabilities. However I do still want a runaround for my Express trains, but I don't think I have enough room to move the turnout and still get across for the track to get into the station.

I also want to add a bespoke scissor crossover like this one, but again which side will work the best, I'm thinking on the right hand side, If I get it right I could add a broken turnout heading towards the (new) derelict building.
scissor track.jpg

But unsure which side it should be placed, (yellow) 1 or 2 ??
bottom layoutcomp.jpg

I think the second more tan colored building looks more European than the first one shown. The first one is very North American looking.

But not being a world traveler, I don't know that what I think means anything.
No it means something, I agree the surplus window warehouse does look more generic to both countries than the machine shop. But I don't know American buildings at all.

Shocking News! I actually watched a video.???

Anyway I thought it looked to be about the right speed. Bigger issue for me is that I don't think I could easily disguise the European look of it.
True, but being bespoke, any items that are not in the US style, can just be left out, unless it's an integral part of the TT, but the basic's are virtually the same.

Well finally got off my proverbial rear end and started on the revamp.

I've moved the TO from the right hand side to the left, easier to get to there, then spent several hours having to shim the track, it was so out of whack. I still had problems with the TO, (a brand new, out the box one I bought), ended up filing the plastic frog down a smidge, so far no derailments.
rev2.jpg

I've bought the Tera Warehouse,(arrives Monday I'm told), which will replace the TT, I need a way of getting to it, so made a new TO, and cut the track at the board join. When I get the warehouse built, I'll carry on taking the track to it, but as it's supposed to be derelict, it will be mostly broken track ties and rusty rails.
rev1.jpg

I've fitted new Peco point motors, to both TO's but not wired in yet, I was going to put under the table motors, but the track lines up with a nice length of 4X4 underneath, Ah well, such is life. :)

I said yesterday in the coffee shop I'd post a foto' to see how far I've progressed in this revamp so far,I haven't done as much as I had hoped, the very high temp at the moment hasn't helped much, it may not look like much, but as you all know somethings can't be rushed, and I've encountered a few unexpected glitches.

In the first shot, this is how it currently looks, the inner track on the right has been replaced from the TO all the way round with flex track, both tracks will need to be shortened when the 3 way TO arrives.
I also made the track spacing the correct distance, doing that has given me a few extra inches to play with in the center.

Revamp1.jpg

In this one you can see how close to the edge the outer track comes, so I'll need to fabricate a board round this corner to prevent any flying loco's. The inner track also needs to be brought out to the correct distance from the outer line, and the TO is coming out, that will give me a few extra inches there as well. Doing the outer track was a real PIA, taken nearly a day and a half to get that curve right,

Revamp2.jpg

In this one you can see roughly where I want to go with this, I'm making it simpler, but I think more versatile in what I'll be able to do, without making it too complex for me to control.

Marked up2.jpg

The blue circles are where the 3 way TO's are planned, the highlighted track on the right will be removed, the black lines are where the new track will go, so 2X 3 way TO's, either end of the straight, and I'm intending to have only 4 stub lines, and then one?? track into the industrial area. The white line is where, hopefully, I can get a reverse loop in, and which will also allow all the stub and industrial tracks to run from. If not, the TO on the left will feed the Industry and the track coming in from the right will still feed the stub tracks.

If there's anything I'm missing or I should/shouldn't do, feel free to comment, I'm also here to learn. :)

Last edited:
I said yesterday in the coffee shop I'd post a foto' to see how far I've progressed in this revamp so far,I haven't done as much as I had hoped, the very high temp at the moment hasn't helped much, it may not look like much, but as you all know somethings can't be rushed, and I've encountered a few unexpected glitches.

In the first shot, this is how it currently looks, the inner track on the right has been replaced from the TO all the way round with flex track, both tracks will need to be shortened when the 3 way TO arrives.
I also made the track spacing the correct distance, doing that has given me a few extra inches to play with in the center.

View attachment 148975

In this one you can see how close to the edge the outer track comes, so I'll need to fabricate a board round this corner to prevent any flying loco's. The inner track also needs to be brought out to the correct distance from the outer line, and the TO is coming out, that will give me a few extra inches there as well. Doing the outer track was a real PIA, taken nearly a day and a half to get that curve right,

View attachment 148976

In this one you can see roughly where I want to go with this, I'm making it simpler, but I think more versatile in what I'll be able to do, without making it too complex for me to control.

View attachment 148981

The blue circles are where the 3 way TO's are planned, the highlighted track on the right will be removed, the black lines are where the new track will go, so 2X 3 way TO's, either end of the straight, and I'm intending to have only 4 stub lines, and then one?? track into the industrial area. The white line is where, hopefully, I can get a reverse loop in, and which will also allow all the stub and industrial tracks to run from. If not, the TO on the left will feed the Industry and the track coming in from the right will still feed the stub tracks.

If there's anything I'm missing or I should/shouldn't do, feel free to comment, I'm also here to learn. :)
Looking great!

Looks to me like you have thought it out, I am not a fan of the turntable so taking that out earlier freed up a lot of real estate. I have always been intimidated by the reverse loop but others seem unfazed so that is one area personally I would think twice about.

The bigger question I have is, where will the buildings go?

Dave LASM

Looks to me like you have thought it out, I am not a fan of the turntable so taking that out earlier freed up a lot of real estate. I have always been intimidated by the reverse loop but others seem unfazed so that is one area personally I would think twice about.

The bigger question I have is, where will the buildings go?

Dave LASM
I'm intending just to have the two or maybe three industry building where the TT was, you have to remember this part spends it's time in the verticle when not in use, I dont want many as I will have to keep moving them, I want to reduce the number of large buildings at the stub end to one loco shed, and a goods shed, remainder being for rolling stock, depends how many stub ends will fit without being overcrowded.
Signal box would go on the left between the mainline and the reverse loop, to control both, and be in sight of all the TO's. One station either side, one on the left between the middle and right hand track, lefthand one probably up in the industrial area, maybe a few smaller related structures, disused or abandoned ones.

If I’m imagining it correctly, that would work pretty well! Doesn’t seem too overwhelming and leaves plenty of room for scenics, details, etc…
I'm trying for a kind of very small town working yard close to a mainline feel to it, if that makes sense.
But, (and there's always a but somewhere), depends on how much space I end up with after I've done the mains.
Which is why I'm doing the mains first and the yard and industry second, usually you build it the other way round or do both together.

That’s a nice kit!
I'm thinking of getting this, but not sure where it would fit in, but if I can get three lines into the industrial section, but it could work I think.. Structure wise, I've already have two double length loco sheds, the Walthers machine shop, a goods shed (two if I include the Hornby one) two stations, a signal box, a silo, and a small European factory, plus a small church, so not sure where it would go, till I get the Peco 3 way TO's in, and can see if the reverse loop will work it'll have to go on hold for now.

Back