Returned to the greatest hobby

haplo777

Says to introduce yourself so here goes.

I started working with electric trains when I was 10 or so. My dad had a train set that he picked up on his travels and he was more than willing to setup the train set. He actually had more fun that I did at times. He was the type of guy that would play with toy tractors, trains, etc.. If he didn't have the piece he wanted he made it. Of course about 15 or so I lost interest and eventually the set got boxed up and to my surprise has been stored in his basement ever since.

Now I have a young son that loves everything that has to do with trains. We have been playing with his wooden train set for hours each day. My job is to get the trains up the mountain. Of course the wooden train has its limits so I started looking into electric train sets. I was talking to my dad about this and he said he still had the old set from when I was a kid. A couple days pass and I get a phone call that he has gotten the old set out and tested it and it still worked. You will never see a man so motivated to clean out a section of the basement so a 4X8 could be setup and the train tracks laid back down as I was. Granted some of the tracks needed a some cleaning but they work as good as they ever have. I realize that they are not new or as fancy as some of the current technology that is used in tracks but they work none the less and gave me a extremely cheap way to return to this wonderful hobby. I am sure some of you have experienced that coming home feeling. Well I have had the feeling for weeks. I have come home to a hobby that I loved as a kid and now am sharing with my young son.

Welcome to the forum..... ! There's a ton of knowledge in every aspect of our hobby right here so ask us anything.

Larry:)

It certainly is a good hobby. Even when your son's attention turns to other things when he gets into high school, you can continue your interest in trains at an adult level with clubs and local hobbiests.

Back