Retired military veteran empty nester returning to the hobby

TXVeteran

After serving 30 years in the military (Marines), and with the kids all full grown and out of the house, I finally have time to work on a proper layout, in it's own dedicated building on my property. We have a steel building on the property that measures 20 x 60 feet, so that should do for a start. And it's a hobby I can share with my two older grandkids, who are having a blast. (They live down the road from us, so it's an easy walk for them. Better them than me!😎

Got all the framework done, and working on structures, scenery and trackwork, and those two grands sure make a difference.

Just found this forum today, and it looks very interesting and helpful.

Thanks for having me aboard!

TV

Welcome aboard !
toot.gif

Welcome!

Ex Navy hand here (only 10years active). Not yet full retired but taking up the throttles as well. Got my Layout benchwork done and am tuning up the yard tracks. This is a good place for questions and consult help. I'm having fun. See you around

Steve J

Welcome as well from further up North!

Ex Navy as well here (25 years active) and now still working getting closer to retirement. My Layout benchwork is also done albeit much smaller than yours....lol and I am starting to lay some track and scenery shortly.

Welcome aboard our friendly forum from a fellow Texan. Whereabouts do you hail from? I'm out in the country about 65 miles north of Dallas/Ft Worth, close to Era TX. I too have a dedicated train shed at 20' x 32', double level. Yours at 20' x 60' will hold a lot of railroad. Having two willing assistants really helps.
Tell us a little more about your modeling interests; railroad, era, scale, etc. Pictures encouraged and appreciated on this forum.
If you have the time, come join us in the Running Bear's Coffee Shop for a chance to get to know some members and shoot the bull about anything but politics and religion. We discuss and post about our layouts over there as well. We're in the September 2021 edition right now.

Welcome aboard our friendly forum from a fellow Texan. Whereabouts do you hail from? I'm out in the country about 65 miles north of Dallas/Ft Worth, close to Era TX. I too have a dedicated train shed at 20' x 32', double level. Yours at 20' x 60' will hold a lot of railroad. Having two willing assistants really helps.
Tell us a little more about your modeling interests; railroad, era, scale, etc. Pictures encouraged and appreciated on this forum.
If you have the time, come join us in the Running Bear's Coffee Shop for a chance to get to know some members and shoot the bull about anything but politics and religion. We discuss and post about our layouts over there as well. We're in the September 2021 edition right now.
I'm located just about 10 miles outside of Brenham, in Washington County. Brenham is home to Blue Bell Ice Cream, best I ever had. And although I'm not originally from Texas, Texas is where they will lay me in the ground.

Running all HO scale in transition era. That way, I get the best of both worlds. My railroad is not prototype, but rather a cross between UP, Santa Fe and Great Northern centered around a mythical city. I call the railroad the B & C RR, after my two dogs.

I have MAINLY Great Northern and Santa Fe stock, with some UP thrown in for good measure. My grandfather and father worked for GN, and my wife's grandfather and father were Santa Fe workers. UP was because I was blessed with some UP steam and rolling stock. I even have a Great Northern doodlebug.

Working now on the scenery, while the kids save an old man's back and get the track laid. One I have some more completed, I'll pay some photos and ask for comments.

My favorite part of the hobby is scenery and structures, both kits and scratch built. I'm currently working on a town restaurant with an art deco style, and a roadhouse with cabins that are what was called cribs back then for sporting ladies. LOL.

Back