Respirator when doing model railroading things?

HO Scale MILW

A Normal, Regular, Train Fan
Recently I've been thinking about things many of us do when model railroading, and how potentially harmful they are. For example, cutting foam with a saw or hot wire, using resin for rivers, and spray painting. Does anyone recommend that I ware a respirator or mask when doing these things?

I have to watch it as well, I wear a p100 when spray painting and Glueing as well, I found that the smell of the glue still went through my mask so how good was it? You almost need a positive pressure mask to keep out most stuff. I spray paint outside now To try and help myself out.

I do a lot of airbrush work. I was wearing the full respirator with enamels and solvent based paints. I will again when I use the spray cans still in inventory.

I do use a paint booth but even though all of my airbrushing now is done with Arcylics and thinned with Isopropyl Alcohol, I do wear the n-95 Covid masks.

Foam work. I tried the hot wire thing borrowed and never again. I never even thought to wear the respirator that 1st and last time. That smell lingered in the train room for days. Now when I work with foam I use an electric knife and it cuts nicely without smell and small bits all over.

When you can smell something, wear the respirator

When I glue at the workbench or solder I use a battery operated fan to push the fumes away and I wear a n-95 Covid mask.

I wear a respirator just about whenever I'm airbrushing indoors. Occasionally if I'm just doing something very quickly with acrylics, I'll leave it off. I also have a homebuilt spray booth made out of a large plastic storage box that vents out the window above my workbench. Woodworking, especially heavy sanding, I'll wear a N95-type dust mask. Even cleaning my garage every summer, when I move the big stuff out, sweep it and then powerwash the floor, I wear a mask now. That was after one time of cleaning, blew my nose afterward and it came out all dark gray-black...from all the dust, road salt, and who knows what else my sweeping put into the air.

Growing up, I built lots of plastic models and never wore a respirator. I've always wondered if all the things I breathed in over the years will some day come back to haunt me.

Back