Rerailers back to back to back - any problems?

Im thinking of putting 3 rerailers back to back inside of a tunnel to help so that there are no derails. Is there any drawback to doing something like this? Thanks

I have one at each end of my tunnel on both mainlines. You could put them the entire length & it wouldn't hurt anything. I've got them before & after almost every turnout on my layout. I bought them when they were cheap. Got a hundred for $97.00.

You could also consider hand laying guard rails. The other option would be just lay flex track and make sure all is clean and you can reach all points in the tunnel from both sides.

No drawback that I can see as long as they are not too close together.

Well I have going to have 3 connecting to each other directly in a row,

Like this:

160-44529S.jpg

The other option would be just lay flex track and make sure all is clean and you can reach all points in the tunnel from both sides.

x2, I'd go this route. I replaced some sectional track that was giving me issues with a couple pieces of flex and have had zero problems since. Plus a chunk or two of flex is probably cheaper than all those rerailers anyway, if your buying them. Just a thought.

I have tried to use flextrack around a curve but I seem to have alot of issues with getting them the way I want them, as well as trimming off the ends to connect them to the next piece. I just cant measure them correctly and they are usually way off

The problem I have with rerailers is when a car derails on them everything derails with it.

Laying flextrack takes some practice but maybe we can help you with that skill.

Figure you how much you need to do thru the tunnel.
Solder the connections at the railjoiners anywhere inside the tunnel. Thus making it one piece.
Bow and lay the track. Get to where the track is straight outside the tunnel.
Take a square if you have to and cut the flex off straight. Match up your track to the end and leave a bit of space for expansion.

Another thing that I do as well is never fasten the track inside a tunnel with the nail holes in the track. I use a nail between the ties with a head that wont go thru. This allows the track to float a bit with expansion and contraction. It keeps the rails from miss aligning at the ends where it comes out of the tunnel where you have it nailed well on both sides of the connection.

Good Luck

How you put down the rerailers is your decision. I have some located at strategic spots on my layout and a few aren't even noticeable even though they're out in plain sight. Having several in a line on a straight section is one thing but it's been my experience that several in a line on a curve can be bad. The first one may be unable to rerail a derailed car and the car gets hung up on the next one.

You'll still need access

No matter how many rerailers you use (or don't), be sure that you leave some way to reach inside the tunnel. Rerailers are no guarantee, and curved rerailers seem not to work quite as well as sraight rerailers.

Murphy's Law dictates that you will eventually have something go wrong in the tunnel.

If possible, test the track thoroughly before covering it up.

the drawback is looks. my experience with retailers is minimal, during first attempts at the hobby using poorly maintained old toy grade equipment . that stuff just derailed by itself and I never had an instance that rerailer actually helped - 100% useless.

today near all curves i have are flex-track and unless the cat intervenes i have no accidents. actually straight grade transitions proved to be more problematic then curves.

my 2c

To add to my earlier. I think rerailers are great for railroad crossings and that is where I use them the most.

There is no substitute for good track laying. It should be done and run and run until the bugs are worked out before you have scenery and all the extras in the way. (Including the tunnel if possible)

Nope I didnt do mine all right the 17th time either and have had to get it apart and start over.

Good luck and dont give up.

How about track like this as an alternative to the rerailers? If not, anyways what is this type of track called? They go over trusses and have like an extra set of rails in the middle?

2268398296_60598c0186.jpg

I still vote flex track. I installed a piece around a corner that was giving me grief, lots of derails, etc. I did not solder the track ends to the other pieces at all. I did exactly what a previous poster mentioned, just pushed nails into the cork to hold the track, and once you add ballast and glue, that should be good enough to hold, or you could use latex caulk as well under the track.

It is always nicer not to have the track joints, as that is where the derails are going to occur. And if for some reason your tunnel is longer than 36" you could just solder the 2 pieces together prior to install. I think the hardest part is cutting the ends to line up with the next piece of track. I use a dremel tool with a cutting wheel, that seems to work well. Just cut it a bit long if your concerned, then sand down the rail to fit. Not hard at all, just make sure to wear safety glasses when using the dremel!

Back