Repower AHM steam

I have an older AHM Y6B, Cab Forward, and Bigboy. All three have the old can motors in the cab. The first two will run, but don't pull well and must be run at speed to run well. I would like to repower them. I've seen several tutorials on it, but the motors those use are either out of production, or require more hacking of the engine than I would like to do (2 motor version). This will also be my first repower, so I need a little help selecting a motor and I would love to hear from anyone who has done this reciently. Thanks in advance.

I've looked through their tutorial a few times. I don't think they sell the motor used in the repower anymore. The P/N doesn't seem to match their inventory anymore, and I have seen some references to newer motors not fitting quite right. I'm hoping someone has done this reciently that can say how it went, and what motor they used.

I emailed NWSL, and received a reply from Dave. They are now recomending the 2039D-9 motor. I'm going to order one here in the near future. I'll post some pictures when I get to the dirty work in a few weeks.

I have the motor conversion almost finished. I will post an updated tutorial when I manage to find a camera so I can get good pictures of what needs to be done. In the mean time, I am also planning on getting the Y6 to look like an N&W y6. This means I need some detail parts such as an air compressor, classification lights, brass wire for piping, etc. Where do I get these parts? The only one I know of is details west, and they don't seem to have the lights (maybe I'm not looking hard enough?) Also, what size wire would I use, and where do I get it? Thanks.

You can check Bowser, in their parts section. They make the Cal-Scale parts for steamers, plus you can order a catalog from Precision Scale Company, as they have the old Kemtron parts.

PSC I think would be the better place as they have over 14,000 parts. Their parts aren't on line like Bowser's, but they also have a lot more as well.

I would post the link's, but I'm not on my computer.

Back