Replicating Fluted Sides in HO?

Josh,

I've used pre-fab pieces from quonset(?) huts like the one in your second pic. I've also made my own from burnishing aluminum foil over varios styrene from pikestuff kits.......

Johnny

Johnny, what brand did you use? I've seen the Rix one but I've always assumed the sides were pre-curved?

Johnny, what brand did you use? I've seen the Rix one but I've always assumed the sides were pre-curved?

Not sure Josh, they were in a box of parts from a craftsman kit. I just assumed they came from it. These were flat pieces though....Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Johnny

Hum, thats ok Johnny. I'm noticing the BNSF cars fluting is kind of like, big rib, small rib, big rib...

Josh,Evergreen makes a siding that you could use for the UP car.I don't have the part number but it comes in various spacings.

I slightly misspoke. What Vic did was to put the fluting onto the sides of P2K E5s that the "Q" used on the Zephyr. He used .040 half-rounds.

I don't model the "Q" so I don't know what differences there are between locomotive fluting and passenger car fluting. He acknowledges the flute shape is wrong, but it's a trade-off.

If you're still interested, it's the Nov 05 issue of RMJ.

Kennedy

Back