Replacing Bachmann 44-ton N Scale Couplers

davidpen

Long Haired David
I have just started a small switching layout in N Scale - and I have two Bachmann 44 Ton GE switchers. These are the latest ones with DCC fitted. I find that the couplers don't work too well but I have made it worse. I ran one of the locos off the end of the layout, while I was testing the DCC installation. The loco survived the fall but not one of the couplers.

As I own a model shop, I have an account with Bachmann so could presumably get replacement couplers but I would rather change them for something better. Can anyone advise me on which coupler would fit the best - the amount of space available is very small.

David
P.S. I live in the UK so would have to get these from the USA, I guess.

This locomotive was reviewed in the most recent Model Railroader magazine. The review states that you can replace the dummy couplers with Micro-Trains no. 1015 couplers. Elsewhere, I have read that M-T 1016's also fit, as do McHenry's

- Jeff

I will check through my MR copies. All I have to do now is find someone that stocks them in the UK or find a shop that will ship here for a reasonable cost.

Thanks for the pointer

David

Ah ha!

I got my new issue of MR today (I am in the UK) and there was the article. No wonder I hadn't seen it.

I have ordered some Micro Trains couplers so we will see how I get on.

Thanks for the help.
David

Yesterday, I unpacked and ran my Bachmann N-scale 44-tonner for the first time. I was surprised that the stock knuckle couplers seem to work fairly well. They even work with the uncoupling magnets on my layout.

I had assumed that I would want to change out the stock couplers for Micro-Trains. But aside from being oversized, the stock couplers seem to be OK.

- Jeff

Back