Remembering My First Layout

max diyer

Back in 1957, my Dad got a Lionel train set. There was no track or transformer, so he bought a Marx
transformer, 3-rail track, 4 turnouts with 2 switch panels and a Lionel uncoupler with momentary switch.
He took a 4x8 and covered it with fake grass that came in a 3' wide roll. It looked just like green, 80-grit
sandpaper, then he laid the track.

The track plan was similar to this:
5n1PluWm.png

Of course, I loved it and couldn't wait all year long, for it to be set-up. I ran that Lionel every chance I could
and did so until the transformer would get hot and had to shut it off.
In the evenings, I would run it until the family would sit down to watch TV. The old Lionel would
interfere with those old tube-type TV's and cause static lines and audio noise. Dad would tell me to shut it off.
I remember to this day, the smell that Lionel made.

The 4x8 took up about 25% of our living room, so it was tucked into a corner. Our Christmas Tree was
placed on the rear corner of the layout and occasionally the metallic foil tinsel would fall from the tree and
short out the transformer. So I had to carefully crawl across the layout to retrieve the tinsel.

When I was a teenager, Dad gave me the layout. A year after graduating high school, I moved out of the house,
dismantled the layout and packed it into boxes. I didn't stay in one place too long and to make moving easier, I
decided to sell the Lionel to a guy I worked with and never saw it again.

Looking back, I wish that I still had that old Lionel.

Here's photos I found online of the same model loco, cars and track accessories.
l2xkMBHm.jpg
cbntsUsm.jpg

z3IKA0Am.jpg
yfnlpkum.jpg

cWhBNdBm.jpg
15WJC31m.jpg

jIJ5TdXm.jpg
N2K6Vzvm.jpg

Lvh7gKtm.jpg
PjqOV1lm.jpg

Last edited:
About 1962, I got an American Flyer "Casey Jones" train set for Christmas. It had a 4-4-0 loco lettered for the Erie, a Texas and Pacific gondola, a reefer lettered for Carnation milk , IIRC, and an American Flyer Lines caboose. It had a switch on the bottom of the loco that could be set to run forward only, reverse only or it could be set to alternate between forward and reverse. Had it set up on a 4x8 sheet of plywood that slid under my bed and I had a couple of buildings to go with it. It lacked a lot in realism, but it sure was a lot of fun!

That switch on the loco is neat. Having never looked at a American Flyer up close, I didn't know of that switch.
Those old layouts gave us good memories.
That was part of my intention starting this thread . . . to make everyone remember!

Last edited:
I don't know if the higher end locos were like that or not, but the power pack I had didn't have a forward or reverse switch on it, so it might have been that way for all of them at that time.

I don't know if the higher end locos were like that or not, but the power pack I had didn't have a forward or reverse switch on it, so it might have been that way for all of them at that time.
I can't remember if that Marx transformer had a reverse switch. I only remember running the train counter-clockwise, but that might be because of the turnouts.

My first foray into model railroading was also through a Lionel train set. I only wish I had kept it......

In HS, I picked up a bunch of the Marx train stuff that went when I sold the Lionel's. IIRC, the Marx and early Lionel transformers had no reverse.

My first foray into model railroading was also through a Lionel train set. I only wish I had kept it......

In HS, I picked up a bunch of the Marx train stuff that went when I sold the Lionel's. IIRC, the Marx and early Lionel transformers had no reverse.
That's what I was thinking - not having a reverse switch - but wasn't sure. Remembering back 50 years is starting to get a little foggy. I agree with the "I only wish I had kept it".

They had no reverse switch because they are AC powered. A reverse switch would have done nothing. Instead they had a rotary solenoid switch in the loco that clicked once each time power was applied. The solenoid switch reverses the magnetic field of the motor stator with respect to the motor rotor. Forward, neutral, reverse, neutral. The neutral was provided so one could stop the locomotive and have it idle and use the track power for an accessory such as the cattle or barrel loader, etc.. My brand new Lionel Polar Express 2-8-4 can still be operated in this way. Lionel has managed to maintain backwards compatibility with all their evolution of train controls. For example this same 2-8-4 can also be operated with TrainMaster Command Control (TMCC), and Legacy command systems.

Their newest Lion Chief stuff might be the first one that doesn't follow this pattern. As I understand it, the Lion Chief are actually DC powered, but I am certain Louis could answer that better than I.

Now that you mention it - I remember the forward, neutral, reverse, neutral. Thanks for the memory jog.

Only been retired a little over two weeks and my memory is already shot! I guess that being only 7 of 8 at the time is my ticket out on this one. I really don't remember them being AC, I guess I just associated that with Lionel trains. Either way, it was a long time ago. Thanks for straightening me out on that. Kind of a paradigm shift for me!

Back