Remember me?

GatorDave

Railroading Fan~Gator Fan
Remember me? (Updated pics)

What's up everyone. I have been at a stand still for awhile now. Been extremely
busy with work this summer and haven't had much time or energy for modeling. I
finally found my motivation and started my benchwork this week and will be working on it more over the weekend.

I have to say that it feels good to be back in the groove. Once I started, I found it difficult to stop! I actually finished my train building months ago and just
recently finished the electrical wiring. Now, I am ready to see some trains running. Here's a picture of what I have so far.

Man, it feels good to be back at it! Good luck, Dave

HPIM0818.jpg

HPIM0816.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone.
Ken,
Yep. I have a plan. It is a double decker with a nolex connecting the two. The
lower level will be for running trains with a few spurs. The upper level will be for staging with a little more operation. Both levels will be sceniced.

In the plan the blue track will start climbing on the left center of the layout.
It will be visible for a few feet before disappearing behind the scenery. The trains will make a little over one and a half trips around the perimeter of the
layout and then pop out on the upper level. The grade will be just under 2%.

Access to the transition track will be from the underside for derailments or other problems. Below is the plan... first is the lower level, followed by the
upper level and then both together. Dave

Layout12x20finalrev4stubyard1lower1.jpg

Layout12x20finalrev4stubyard1upper.jpg

Layout12x20finalrev4stubyard1both.jpg

Excellent plan Dave! <insert thumbs-up smiley here>

It took a few minutes for me to realize that the blue track on each end was actually two, one directly on top of the other. So what we're looking at is a point-to-point, with the lower level being Point 'A' and the top level as Point 'B'. And with the large reversing loops on both levels you won't need a turntable or wye to change your locos' directions. I bet that pike will be fun to operate when it's done!:cool:

CSX_road_slug said:
Excellent plan Dave! <insert thumbs-up smiley here>

It took a few minutes for me to realize that the blue track on each end was actually two, one directly on top of the other. So what we're looking at is a point-to-point, with the lower level being Point 'A' and the top level as Point 'B'. And with the large reversing loops on both levels you won't need a turntable or wye to change your locos' directions. I bet that pike will be fun to operate when it's done!:cool:

Ken,
Exactly. That's why I labeled the track heights in the corners... in the plan it looks like turnouts.

It is in essence a point to point. I can also continuiously(sp?) run on the lower
level and operate and build trains up top. The spur tracks are general... I might (and probably will) change it up a little during construction. I want to be
able to move goods from the lower to the upper level while avoiding the train(s) running around the layout... it ought to be fun!! Thanks for your interest. Dave

Welcome back Dave. Sometimes a break is the healthy thing to do from a creativity/motivational perspective.

The RR is looking good! I'm looking forward to seeing more soon. :cool:

Hi Dave! Glad you came back to us and have got back to work/play on your layout. I agree with others;you will have a blast operating on your design.

(Not bad for a Florida fan:eek: ) Roll Tide!

RexHea said:
Hi Dave! Glad you came back to us and have got back to work/play on your layout. I agree with others;you will have a blast operating on your design.

(Not bad for a Florida fan:eek: ) Roll Tide!

Rex,
What's that squeaking noise....? Oh, it's just Bama squeaking by Vandy!:D

But seriously folks...
It's good to be back. I am about to get back to work on the benchwork as we speak. I'll try to post my progress as I go. I have really missed my trains. Dave

Ahh, I'm glad someone broke the ice on sports...

Florida @ Tennessee...6 days!!! What I'd give to be in Knoxville for that game. Oh well, CBS isn't that bad...

Uhh, on topic...that's a nice plan there, Dave.

Matt :D

GatorDave said:
Rex,
What's that squeaking niose....? Oh, it's just Bama squeaking by Vandy!:D
Dave
Yeah, whattabout Vandy? 0-2, but, c'mon...Bama 13-10 and Michigan barely sneaking by them for three quarters...usually they're good...or they're bad...mainly they're bad. Okay, enough sports talk on a train forum.

Matt

uspscsx said:
Yeah, whattabout Vandy? 0-2, but, c'mon...Bama 13-10 and Michigan barely sneaking by them for three quarters...usually they're good...or they're bad...mainly they're bad. Okay, enough sports talk on a train forum.

Matt

What's up Matt,
I was just giving Rex a little trash talk. I agree, Vandy always plays tough. I'll never forget the '96 season, when Florida won the National Title. Vandy was a tough team to beat and the Gators barely got by them. And last season, Florida went to OT with 'em. They are a team on a mission... they just seem to abort the mission every year!:D

As for Tennessee, I am pumped!! Later, Dave

Dave!

Ooooooh. It sounds like I mean "So, what about Vandy?:mad:" Actually, my intent was "Yeah, Vandy's tough." Diarrhea of the mouth.:rolleyes:

Matt

Well, I got some work accomplished this weekend. I finished the lower level
benchwork. I hope to lay some track for a test run in the next few days. I also picked up my 100 pieces of flextrack(second picture). Now I have to decide on which roadbed to buy. I think I will go with cork. I have tried cork, AMI and WS
foam and cork seems to work the best. Enjoy. Dave

Sorry for the spotty pics. There was still a lot of dust floating around from the construction.
HPIM0833.jpg

HPIM0835.jpg

My assistant
HPIM0842.jpg

Nice benchwork there . Is that your little helper resting ? keep up the posting on the Murphy Line

I see you got the WS foam risers, how are they working for you? I had noticed that 1 out of 3 in my Mod-u-rail kits was taller then the rest by about 1/16th or an inch. Otherwise, looking good, cam't wait to see more!

Back