Remember me?

Looking good, Dave. I can't wait to see you start on the track. I know it is just my opinion, but I agree with you with WS road bed. I really enjoy working with it. Heck, after ballasting, the cork and WS gives the same results as far as sound and etc. go.

BTW: Bama is pumped up...beware U of Florida! I hope! :D

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Nice benchwork there . Is that your little helper resting ? keep up the posting on the Murphy Line

Yeah... That's my helper. We learned a couple of weeks ago that she has
a tumor on her shoulder and it has caused her to lose the use of her right
leg. The Vet says there is nothing that can be done... she's too old for surgery.
But short of amputating the entire leg, there wouldn't be many options anyway.
The doctor said to just make her comfortable.

On the upside...
I have managed 150' of track. This is the entire mainline of the lower level.
Here's a couple of pictures (excuse the mess... it's a work in process!).

HPIM0870.jpg

HPIM0873.jpg

Nice job on the trackwork Dave!

What a coincidence you happen to post today, I was just reading a thread on the Other Side by Patrick Caudle (dragonriversteel), he lives on the SC coast and is trying to decide between buying an aluminum shed for his trainroom, or building a real one. I told him about yours, and how it's survived a couple hurricanes. Do you want to "weigh in" on the discussion? Here's the link: http://www.trains.com/TRC/CS/forums/984281/ShowPost.aspx

Glad your back GatorDave, sorry about your helper I have a part retriever She's going on 14 and still charges up the stairs, they can be a great comfort, The Murphy Line is looking real nice !!!

Hiya Dave,
Good work going on at your place. Don't be a stranger; come back more often. Heck, I thoughts ya'll done been et by uh gator, uh loggerhead, or sum'tun fierce.

Hope your Gators kick the ..... out of OSU.

Nice job on the trackwork Dave!

What a coincidence you happen to post today, I was just reading a thread on the Other Side by Patrick Caudle (dragonriversteel), he lives on the SC coast and is trying to decide between buying an aluminum shed for his trainroom, or building a real one. I told him about yours, and how it's survived a couple hurricanes. Do you want to "weigh in" on the discussion? Here's the link: http://www.trains.com/TRC/CS/forums/984281/ShowPost.aspx

Ken,
I checked the topic on the other forum. I was going to chime in, but I try to stay out of the discussions over there... someone is always ready to rudely contradict anything that passes as an opinion. I might shoot him an email off
line.

Paul,
Thanks for the comments... about my dog and my layout. I have a long way to go, but at least now I can run a train while I work. And I can run a long train now! I love it. Dave

Rex,
No, I didn't get "et" by a gator... I have been spending my time training my
Gator to eat a Buckeye. And, after some research, I found this:

Noun

buckeye

1. Any of several species of trees of the genus Aesculus, or the related Mexican Buckeye (genus Ungnadia).
2. A breed of chicken

Have you ever tried to feed a tree to a gator?!? Not fun. Maybe they're chickens...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken,
I checked the topic on the other forum. I was going to chime in, but I try to stay out of the discussions over there... someone is always ready to rudely contradict anything that passes as an opinion. I might shoot him an email off
line...
Dave, he finally got the point. He was having a Dirks Bentley moment ("What wuz I thinkin") :D . I know what you mean though, there are a few really bad actors over there.

Welcome back GD. I'm envious of your progress. I'm about to tear down the Rock Ridge and Train City. We'll probably play taps next weekend.

Johnny,
Thanks. It's nice to be back.

Chip,
I have been reading some of your topics here and over there. So... you're going to try your luck with N scale. I had that thought cross my mind when I began this round of MRRing. I decided against it when I tallied up my HO investment! But with nearly twenty feet of run along my back wall, I would love to see an N scale train stretching out!! Good luck with your new project. Dave

Scott,
I managed to install three ground throws last night and clean up the layout a
little. Santa actually brought me a new 19" widescreen monitor for my computer. Now I can see this forum really well!

As for my dog ("Krystal" is her name), she's hanging in there. She's a tough one. The hardest part of this whole thing is remembering how she use to run and play. Now she has to hop around on three legs. But, she seems to be doing alright, for now. Thanks for asking. Dave

Instead of starting a whole new topic, I figured that I would just update this one. The layout progress has been moving slowly, but moving. I have the transition track laid that will take the trains to and from the upper level. I will begin the upper level after vacation. We will be going at the end of the month, so maybe I can start by the middle of next month.

I also have both reverse loops operational, so I have a funtioning layout... minus scenery and the sidings that are planned. I can run a much longer train than I ever could before. Enjoy. Dave

Here's some pictures.

This one shows the start of the incline with the second "lap" above.
HPIM0952.jpg

This one is just around the first curve. You can see in the distance where the incline stops... it will go on for about twelve more feet before surfacing on the upper level.
HPIM0953.jpg

Dave who? just kidding.

Those Woodland scenic inclines are just spectacular aren't they? Too bad they cost so damn much...

Dave who? just kidding.

Those Woodland scenic inclines are just spectacular aren't they? Too bad they cost so damn much...

What's up Aggro,
Long time since I heard from you. I don't spend much time across the way(Trains.com) anymore. When I do have time to browse the forums I do it over here. The folks here are so much more civil.

I was checking out your topic the other day and, man, you get better everytime you weather a car! I still have the email from way back where you gave me some pointers... I just need to try them.

Yeah, the WS risers are great... takes the hard work right out of it!:D And yes, they are pricey. But, the time saved is worth it...

I can't wait to get the upper level done so I can start the scenery. I can already picture the mountains and streams.

Later, Dave

Back