Regular Derailments At a Turnout

It doesn't take much for our tiny flanges to skip over a small irregularity. With 6 wheel trucks on diesels, they pivot about on the center ones if there's the slightest high spot. There was a turnout on the club layout that was old, the tip of one of the point rails had dropped just a tad on the diverging route's outer track and wheels would just ride over it onto the wrong track. Once one went the rest would follow.

I was just looking at the thread title and thought that being a regular and predictable happening, it could be worked into a timetable if incurable.:p

I was just an oily patch on the floor on the weekend, fortunately the temps and hummingmidity have dropped a bit and the fingers have solidified enough to type. Had some doozy storms with it.

One other thing to check. the uncoupling pin (brake hose) could be low, and hitting the switch. This was a problem until I discovered it, and started to check all locos and cars. now that type of derailment is no longer a problem. Bend the pin upward a bit, so it is more curved, and it will glide over the switch points.

the Aerojet

Back