Regular Athearn VS. Athearn Genisis

conrail92

Ok now whats the difference between athearn regular run and there genisis locomotives. Is there realy much of a quality difference? If so could you tell me what makes them different. And if its just as good as the genisis loco's.

Are you referring to Athearn's Blue-Box "kits" or Athearn's RTR line? There's a big difference in Athearn BB and Athearn RTR, and a HUGE difference in Athearn BB and Athearn Genesis. There is a difference in new Athearn Genesis and Athearn RTR. There's not as big a difference in Genesis's original run and Athearn RTR. What I need is more information, such as locomotive type, etc.

Matt

ok im looking into buyin a Norfolk southearn Dash 9 locomotive And the only company who sales it With the horse head logo is Athearn. Now i own a athearn genisis sd75 and im like it. Now is there a difference between the rtr and gensis? if so is it enough to matter that much? And also how would it compare to kato Because if rtr was that great i was going to go with a Kato Sd80 Or there dash 9 with doesnt have the horse head logo. So in all real honesty im pretty much comparing it too kato. So if you can give me the info i would much apreciate it.

The Genesis SD75M's act about the same as the newer RTR's. So if you like the SD75M I doubt you won't like the RTR. I love my new RTR Dash 9, and will be buying more.

Compaired to a Kato I cannot vouch for, as my only Kato is a SD40-2 Snoot SHELL. I still need to buy the chassis.

K because i realy want the horse head is my fav scheme as theres and DAsh 9 is a bit more common and protoypical then the sd80. So ill probly go with the NS dash 9. Because My one loco had an accident and will probly cost more to repair then what its worth im thinking about just buyin another loco.

One other thing for this http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH79884 as i kno it fully assembled does it have operating ditch lights for the dash 9's they make. OR is it something you might haft too add?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the Genisis Line has better detail than the Athearn RTR series, but as far as pulling power, they are about the same. However, Kato is also a very good brand, and I would buy a Kato over an Athearn because of the locomotive's quality.

The RTR does not have operating ditch lights, the Kato does not have ditch lights at all.

Genesis is Athearns "Top of the line"..However,by adding aftermarket details the RTR locos can rightfully take their place along side of Genesis,Atlas and Kato.I love my RTR CF7s,GP38-2s,GP40-2s and SD40-2s as much as I do my Genesis Spartan cab SD70s and Atlas locomotives..

Back