Reefers

zoegraf

Craftsman at heart
Just got these reefers.

One of them had a warped floor causing the wheels to touch the under frame, but I fixed that by taking the shell off and un-warping the floor with a hair dryer. I didn't want to return it because I'm picky when it comes to paint jobs and assembly; and these shells where the best out of the lot. I did accidentally break off a rod that has a chain on it that goes under the brake platform on the end, but that can be easily replaced with a new plastic one or one made out of brass.

They seem prototypical except for the truck's and underframe's colour, which should be CN red like the red on their old box cars.

Anyhow, glad to have them and some day I will replace the trucks with kadees and paint them along with the undercarriage. And of course weather them.

Those modules need to have an icehouse facility, Zoe!! Love the old reefers. You are making a lot of progress these days.

-bill

Those modules need to have an icehouse facility, Zoe!! Love the old reefers. You are making a lot of progress these days.

-bill

Oh I wish I had a layout that could fit in an ice facility. Perhaps on the future layout that the modules will be incorporated into. I'm now taking a break from the modules and working on the turnouts for them.

The reefers are good stand-ins; they are not fully prototypical in regards to the stirrups, placement of data between ladder and leaf, and the color of the undercarriage, but with a little kitbashing and some paint, I think I'll be able to do so someday. It's a shame that spending over $45 for each car doesn't get you a prototypical one. I wish this car came in kit form painted, but with no lettering, numbering, and herarlds on it. I still think Kadee cars are one of the best out there, but they don't make Canadian rolling stock that I want.

When I went shopping for them, I picked the best ones I could find out of the batch and still they had some QC issues like no consistency with the placement of the ladders and the condition of them - some have quite a bow in them, and some glued out way too far from the wall.

Also, one of the floors was so warped I had to take it apart and take a hair dryer to it to get it flat. I could have returned it, but an almost two hour commute to the hobby shop is too inconvienient for me and they were the best out of the batch I got too choose from.

My advise to those who are considering buying theses reefers, inspect them thoroughly and test run them on track if your hobby shop will allow you.

soo those are kadee cars ??

They are made by True Line Train Gold Series.

I just wish Kadee made RTR Canadian rolling stock.

I still like rolling stock in kit form. Some of my nicest most realistic rolling stock are kit bashed or kits.

Last edited by a moderator:
They look good. I have two F&C resin kits of those reefers in my collection. I should start building them soon.

There is a prototype CP car parked here in Kelowna, I've taken pictures of it. It's not in very good shape anymore. The Museum Society bought it in the 1980's but never did anything with it. Last I saw (this past fall) some homeless guy set up his camp underneath it.

Last edited by a moderator:
They look good. I have two F&C resin kits of those reefers in my collection. I should start building them soon.

There is a prototype CP car parked here in Kelowna, I've taken pictures of it. It's not in very good shape anymore. The Museum Society bought it in the 1980's but never did anything with it. Last I saw (this past fall) some homeless guy set up his camp underneath it.

I have a F&C in storage all assembled and painted, but for some reason the decals started to crack and peel off. Someday will have to find a decal set for them. I don't liked F&C decals.

I have no idea why TLT went with the moulded oversize stirrup especially on their gold series. Their previous box cars have these type:

Yes they do:
001_zps5ac4043f.png

Back