Red Mountain Mine

Fantastic! You should be real proud of yourself. Submit those photos to the magazines for some contests. Thanks for being an inspiration. Keep up the good work!

Gary excellent work. I'm going to have to attempt a retaining wall like yours. I just purchased one and realized it would drive me broke to purchase all I need. Any hints to get it looking as good as yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary excellent work. I'm going to have to attempt a retaining wall like yours. I just purchased one and realized it would drive me broke to purchase all I need. Any hints to get it looking as good as yours?

Why don't you get some RTV, (liquid latex) and using the one wall that you have, make a mold of it with the RTV, and cast as many as you need?

As long as you don't try to sell copies of it, there are no copyright infringements.

The cribbing cost me all of $3.00, bought the 1/4" dowels at lowes just the "time" was the expensive part. The plaster was about a cup full and the "time" again was the most. I like scratch building stuff as ready made stuff never seems to fit the space right.

The cribbing was time consuming having to cut notches in each piece. First i used a fine tooth saw and scrapped it down the dowel to give it a grain then cut the notches then cut it to length, it was easier that way so you had something to hold on to as some of the pieces are very short. Next was to glue each section together, let dry and then stain. I then placed the diorama on it's back and used spackle applied to the foam and sprinkled crushed granite over it and pressed each section of cribbing into it being careful not to squeeze out to much spackle and make a mess of the cribbing. I still had voids that needed to be filled so i sprinkled more crushed granite over it and pressed it in then let dry. Hope this helps some.

I thought about the casting thing but I don't think it would save enough $ to make it worth while. My carving has never turned out as nice as the other Gary's. The Featherlite wall I purchased came out pretty well. I guess in this case I'm in the RTR crowd. Or would that be Ready to Climb?

Back