Recommended turnout Manufacturers for hand throwing the switch and and DCC

dmiller

Having been out of railroading for 15 years, and starting a new shelf layout in DCC, I intend to follow the trains and want to hand throw the turnouts . WHAT brands of turnouts do you recommend using? In my past experience with Atlas the grommets and points had electrical failures. I will be using code 83 track with the hand throws I want to be sure they lock in place and do not drift out causing derailment or loss of electrical contact. ( caboose Industries sprung ground throws are good )

Of the brands out there now which ones do you recommend ?
cost is somewhat an issue as I will need quite a few ( but I could use my old Altas switch until I can replace with better quality )

Atlas Custom-Line retail #4 21.95

Micro Engineering retail (#6 only) 23.45 http://www.microengineering.com/products_to.htm

Walthers code # 5 retail $29.99

Peco Code # 5 retail 36.99 ( these snap -lock which I like can this be used along a caboose Industries hand throw? (but not needed)

I am using the MRC Prodigy DCC System does both DC and DCC
Thank you,
David Miller

I have a few Atlas Custom-Line turnouts in my hidden staging area in code 83. The rest of my layout is code 70. They have been in for years and I haven't had a single problem with them, although I do have these turnouts powered because they are hidden. You shouldn't have any problems with the Caboose Industries ground throws. The majority of my turnouts have them.

I never liked the looks of the Atlas turnouts so got rid of them 15 years ago and switched to Peco. Of the store-bought manufactured turnouts I really like them.

Of the brands out there now which ones do you recommend
It is hard to beat the reliability of Peco. However I still use all brands depending on the exact scenario and piece needed. I actually preferred the old Atlas grommets over their new ... crimp lock(?) style. I like the Walther's (Shinohara) least.

Just FYI: Atlas Custom-Line #4 are actually #4.75. Which is one reason I like them. True #4s are so tight I avoid them at almost all costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you can wrong using Peco turnouts, they work well for me, offer a pretty good variety and are readily available from most (if not all) suppliers.

Now, if money and availability in the US isn't an issue, Flieschmann would be my first choice based on what I have read about it.

Now, if money and availability in the US isn't an issue, Flieschmann would be my first choice based on what I have read about it.
Really? Do you remember where you read about them? I have some from 30 years ago or so and don't remember being all that impressed by them. A whole lot could have changed in that time. I don't even know where they are at the moment, probably in storage at the Fossil Shore Estate.

Back