Rebuilding my present yard - starting over

CbarM

HO all the way!
Hey guys, I currently have a 7 track yard along with 2 mains and a siding, all on 2'x16' plywood. I am wanting to redo the benchwork under it, but its all one piece , or well, 2 actually (2x8's). I am curious if its better to use 1x4 planks, or rip 1/2" or 3/4" plywood into strips for building a frame? Mine is built with 2x3's and 1/2" OSB overtop, with 1" pink foam, and WS foam roadbed over that and its a lil heavy for moving around and when I went to set it up after I bought a new house, its not lining up very well, plus alot of the track has pulled apart from the white glue I used to secure it with...

The 3/4 plywood would be stronger than 1X4 dimensional lumber as in it would be less prone to warp, but the 1X4's, which I built my layout with, would cost less. I believe that the 1/2 plywood may be a little too light.

Thanks for the input...I was thinking of warpage also. If I built a proper frame and plywooded overtop then it might be OK with 1x4's Im thinkin. Im gonna price out both n see what kinda difference there is. I would kinda prefer to go with the plywood strips.

I just went to Home Depots website n the plywood is actually cheaper! A sheet of 3/4 4x8 is $29.37 and I figure if it was cut into 3.5" strips (same size as 1x4) then I should get 13 strips, factoring in saw cuts, making it $2.26 a strip. The 1x4x8 are $2.97 each. I dunno what they charge for cutting, or if they do, but I definately think this is the way to go!

I use 3/4 ply cut in 3" strips and have had no issues where 1x4's will warp, crack, and split when screwed.
Talk to the lumber guy about a deal on the cuts, it is usually $1 per but Home Hardware (Selkirk) gives me a break.
I just started my framing the other day (YAY!) and am planning my yard right now.

Are you concerned about the weight? 3/4" plywood is pretty heavy. How about 5/8" plywood for the sub roadbed? I thought some people rip the styrofoam into 3/4" strips then glue it directly to the sub roadbed foam. Don't know how strong it would be ,but ought to be plenty light. How about Gatorboard?

I went to home depot the other day and had em rip a 4x8 3/4" sheet into 3 7/8" strips, this will be my framing lumber, then I had em rip 2 - 3/8" 4x8 sheets in half giving me 4 - 2x8 sheets for the table tops. 1" foam will go over this and then yard track. On my current yard the dual mains and siding are on WS roadbed foam and the 7 yard tracks are right on the 1" foam. I am going to redo it the same way, but leave myself room for proper yard leads and also increase the distance of the decline from the roadbed foam to the pink foam from 14" to about 20" I think...it will make a nicer transition for autodecks. I will post a pic of my current yard set up here in a couple mins n then out to the shop to start cuttin strips n glueing em n screwin em together...

What is the best way to make a 1/4 transition nice and smooth? On my current set up I cut out strips of cereal box cardboard and overlapped em, each piece about 1 1/2" shorter then the next. Is there a better way?

Here are pics of my new benchwork so far, 1 completed 2'x8' table top and the other is the framing complete. Here are also 2 pics of my current set up in case anyone is wondering what it looks like. It will all be dismantled tomorrow and rebuilt on the new benchwork, but I am expanding it from 16' to 20' this time and allowing for longer yard leads instead of running right off the main and into the yard.

Attachments

• 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 115.jpg
    115.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 117.jpg
    117.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 129
I remeasured and my total yard length is gonna be 19'. I am allowing for dual mains with 45" and 42" R at the one end of the yard. If I was to make this the minumum radius for the layout, would this be sufficient for autodecks?

Looks good Chris - in retrospect I wish I had used plywood for the framing on my benchwork. It would have been a more consistent thickness, no cupping, warping or splitting either.

Thanks Gary, I am happy I went this route as it makes it a lil faster to build. I can glue n screw it all together without having to drill pilot holes, and the plywood actually worked out cheaper then 1x4's. Hows the progress coming on your layout?

Thanks Gary, I am happy I went this route as it makes it a lil faster to build. I can glue n screw it all together without having to drill pilot holes, and the plywood actually worked out cheaper then 1x4's. Hows the progress coming on your layout?

Not much new to report on mine, other than I just ordered an NCE SB5 booster & UTP panel. Still waiting it out on Atlas track & turnouts. I started building an Atlas station, and I have a couple of hopper car kits to keep me busy till the track arrives.

I am in need of a couple atlas #6 turnouts also...wish they would hurry up. Im gonna be in Edmonton tomorrow n do a lil browsing at a couple hobby shops. If they have some code 83 turnouts do ya want me to pick some up n send em to ya? What are you in need of?

I am in need of a couple atlas #6 turnouts also...wish they would hurry up. Im gonna be in Edmonton tomorrow n do a lil browsing at a couple hobby shops. If they have some code 83 turnouts do ya want me to pick some up n send em to ya? What are you in need of?

Hey Chris - that's awfully nice of you to offer. My total list is as follows, but a couple of them would be great: 561 #4 LH - 6, 562 #4 RH - 6, 563 #6 LH - 3, 564 #6 RH - 5.

Thanks again

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, Im on it. I will let ya know what I pick up there if they aint already picked over. I didnt know the #4's were out of stock also? I ordered a few #8's on Feebay n there seems to be lotsa those around. The smallest turnout I use is #6 for my yard...

No need to thank me, I want to see your layout get some track down so this might help out some :)

BTW - How did you attatch the legs to your benchwork? Can ya post or send a pic?

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW - How did you attatch the legs to your benchwork? Can ya post or send a pic?

Nothing fancy - just some carriage bolts, flat washers and lock washers. This is so that they can be removed easily from each module if and when they are moved. I did recess the carriage bolt heads in case I add some masonite to finish off the framing though....

preview_p10109640.jpg

preview_p10109660.jpg

OK, no bracing at all I assume? I was just gonna screw mine to the frame and use 1x2's for bracing.

Right now I don't have any bracing, and they seem pretty stiff. At least with the 3/8" dia. bolts I can always tighten them up a bit more if need be. If you are using screws I would definitely add bracing

I did use 2" screws for my 2x4 legs, 2 in each one and then added the 1x2 bracing. It actually came out very well and I am impressed how rigid it is now! I will take a pic in the mornin before headin out to Edmonton 300 miles up the road...

Back