Realistic snow - help

karol

How to make a realistic snow and ice. I`ve just been trynig to make it but I failed. Do you have any ideas?

I remember a Model Railroader article several years back on the subject by Rand Hood. If you have some back issues (I'm thinking late 90"s maybe), it's a great read.

It's also available in one of the Kalmbach books, I would have to look to see which one.

The basic way Randy did it was using plaster, plain, also for ice he used clear silicone I think. He had an awesome frost effect on the tracks if I remember.

I have the Kalmbach book and the MR issue. If interested Karol, I can try to find them both and post a Cliff Notes version.

"If interested Karol, I can try to find them both and post a Cliff Notes version."
I`ve got some materials about it, but if you post it I`d be nice. :D

Depending what kind of effect you want to achieve and what scale, you can use cotton balls to portray light fluffy snow, for distant objects Woddland Scenics has Snow

And to be absolutely realistic, just step outside and shovel some off your front lawn ;)

karol said:
"If interested Karol, I can try to find them both and post a Cliff Notes version."
I`ve got some materials about it, but if you post it I`d be nice. :D

Karol

Will do, give me a day to locate, re-read and condense.

wpgrailfan is right on the WS Snow, it's pretty nice.

I noticed that wpgrailfan is very close to the initials of my little RR, WPG RR, good choice of letters ;)

Karol, I found my copy of the article by Rand Hood. Did you ever geta copy from the link I sent you? If not, I could send a copy to you. Let me know.

Thanks Eric, I forgot all about locating that article. I need some post-it notes on my forehead

Making Ice

I have a product that works great for frozen ice pools or ponds etc. or even icy sidewalks. Go to ebay, search user ID 041401, or Magic Water. I have some photos there of some ice. Hope this helps.;)

grande man said:
Karol, I found my copy of the article by Rand Hood. Did you ever geta copy from the link I sent you? If not, I could send a copy to you. Let me know.
If you can sent it to my mail-box, please. :)

Back