Realistic Shortline Numbers???

chrismoore93 said:
Well now that I think about it guys. For a smaller railroad those bigger engines wouldn't even be prototypical right? I will still bring in the GP's SD's and what not though. Think I should just stay away from the Dash 9's and 8's?
Is this right?
Chris

How small is small? The Susie Q bought some SD70s, but most of them are roaming around elsewhere. Ohio Central doesn't have anything that big, but do have the SD40s. I don't think they'll go to a Dash-8 unless they get a real good deal...

Kennedy

Just a quick note: Roman was right (above) about the CEMR numbering their locos in the 4000 series and not the 2000 series as I had stated.
(and I even worked there yet...sheesh!)
Rico

Never updated you guys, if I get to a layout soon enough, I have decided to number the engines by their horsepower. Example GP35's #2500-2599, even though I don't think I'll have 99 GP35's!! However, if I but the loco already painted, it will keep the same number, unless I feel I'd like to change it. Example on that, my Santa Fe GP38-2 #2374, will probably be renumbered #2000.
Chris

I have also heard of a few railroads numbering their loco's by what TYPE of loco it is. For example:

GP7's - #700 - 7??
GP9's - #900 - 9??
GP20's- #200 - 20??
GP35's - #3500 - 35??

You get the idea???

That is how I'm going to number my private road loco's.

Back