Real World Turnout Replacement

GuilfordRailman

I work at a wholesale grocery supplier as a truck driver. It’s a very large warehouse that used to be served by rail back several years ago. Two weeks ago, CSX replaced the turnout. My question is…is there an advantage to replacing the turnout vs. just replacing with a straight section? I figured since the warehouse is no longer served by rail, it would make more sense and cost less to just add a straight section of rail instead.

Unless they plan on getting service by rail again and the switch need replacement in order to do this. Truck drivers may not be able to keep up with the demand due to shortages in drivers.

Unless they plan on getting service by rail again and the switch need replacement in order to do this. Truck drivers may not be able to keep up with the demand due to shortages in drivers.
I figured they must be planning on getting rail service again if they’re doing all that work but I haven’t heard anything.

There are legal ramifications to retiring a switch and may be state laws regarding switch retirements. The railroad just can't pull a switch out will nilly. The company may be paying a switch maintenance fee to retain a switch. The railroad might not own the switch. Even if they aren't using the switch, having rail access might make the property more valuable to a future buyer.

Back