Real Train Operation Speeds

Each line has a max speed, set by if there are signals, if its CTC or traffic control, or ABS "automatic Block signals".
Then there is the condition of track.

Most railroads run the 40/50/60, 60 being max for passenger and intermodal, 50 being freight and 40 being bulk like coal. Each railroad however is different.

Then you have speed restrictions for towns, curves, turnouts and other things.

I have a ETT "employees time table" for my railroad that gives the speeds. It lists each location and so forth for the crews. once you have ran the line a few op sessions, you get a handle of it.

My max speed is 70 passenger and intermodal, in the middle of the railroad, each end is 60. There are towns with 35mph, 40mph and one 45mph. Then the curves, one is a 25mph and another is 40mph. The yards are 10mph, industries are 10mph too.

If you realy wanted to get finnicky, you could limit trains with over 100 tons per operative break (TOB.) MY BNSF SSI has these limited to 45 MPH. Empty coal can operate at track speed, solid military trains at 55mph, trains handling empty cars limited to 55 mph (Except passenger cars, coal trains, intermodal, and automax cars)

exactly, you can really get picky if you want. Some railroads got really picky, and had it down to a division and district info.
Just remember, in alot of cases, each line segment is its own rule!

Eventually I am going to put in a scale speedometer. They aren't too expensive and I think they will help new guys on the layout, plus give you a better idea of speed!

Here in the Northeastern US, the typical speed limit from main line freights is between 40 and 50 miles per hour. On branch lines it is usually about 25 MPH, and on yard and industrial tracks the speed limit is generally 15 MPH.

Man, so terminal dwell in Barstow is somewhere in the 36 hour range! Thats nice to know.

Heck, check out CSX's average speeds!

Man, so terminal dwell in Barstow is somewhere in the 36 hour range! Thats nice to know.

Heck, check out CSX's average speeds!

It takes some freight cars up to ONE week to get from one side of Chicago to the other...
A RR is as fast at their major terminal can handle cars.

Regards,

René

PS

Speed on my modules, Southern Pacific in the 1980's, is a mere 25MPH due to speed limits caused by bad track or broken down locomotives or underpowered trains.
79671870.AIBNpVAW.DSC_7286c.jpg

In lieu to CIOR comment on scale speedometers....

Does anyone here have a scale speedometer on their layout????

If so could you post pics and a review of the product please. I am very interested in this as well....

Thanks

Back