Real or model

Bread&steel

A friend sent me this picture. He asked me if it was real or model. Looking at it, I must say, if it's a model it's damn good !!!!! What weathering ! Well I'm still not sure. It looks real to me but what do you all think?

Larry

Realormodel.png

Model. I think the weathering is Great. The weeds are probably flocked.
Where you been Claudia?

Okay, leaving myself out of this...we have 2 saying it's real and 3 saying it's a model. Well my friend promised to tell all so I think I will let this one ride for awhile.
I wanted to see the couplers. You can always tell if you can see them but I can't ! Are all those rail cars available in HO ? I would guess it was HO if it is a model.

L

Real.

1. the warping and denting on the body to the right of the door.
2. the weeds
3. the grabs & stirrup steps
4. the ties
5. the cored out solid bearing trucks with rollers installed.
6. the blurring on the edges, simply looks like an under exposed shot on an old film point & shoot camera, or slide camera.

If it is a model, its not HO, if anything, O at the absolute smallest.

Very Simple Real

Just look at the couplers on the cars in the backround and the air hoses that are connected.

Real.

2. the weeds
4. the ties
6. the blurring on the edges, simply looks like an under exposed shot on an old film point & shoot camera, or slide camera.

You are good at this Josh ! One more for real

I'll cast a vote for REAL. I can see the seed clumps on the tips of some weeds right in front of the boxcar, I can't imagine anybody being able to model that with a Noch. I see Josh already caught the dents beside the sliding door.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going with a model. There doesn't seem to be any open space between the ladder rungs and the box car bodies on the 2 cars in the foreground. Maybe it is the lighting but they sure look molded on in the picture. Otherwise I would have called it as real.

Real.

2. the weeds
4. the ties

Now that Josh mentioned all this stuff, im thinking this actually is a real picture. What really changed it for me is the ties on the tracks, those look way to real to be a model.....

I have no idea. I see things in the photo that make me think its real, and their are things that make me think its a model. A reason i am thinking model is the Oregon Northwestern Railroad car in the background. I have never seen a photo of a real car that looks like that. If this is in fact a model railroad, this is some of the best work i have EVER seen in my life!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back