Re-Fuelling Shed

regme

Hi

I'm finally going to start my re-fuelling shed in HO which will be a portal frame structure. The size of the shed is 115x 565mm so my question is what would be the starting thickness for the base of the structure.

So far I have found foam core, but I haven't found anything less than 5mm, plywood 3mm and then acrylic sheets from 1.5mm. I'm leaning towards the acrylic because they can cut it to size so I'll have something square to work from.

Cheers

What you use for a base can be pretty much anything, from 2" insulation foam to .060 plastic sheet. A lot of the decision would be what are you doing for track and what is the layout surface.

There is only one entrance/exit and the track will be suspended over a pit (if that makes sense), once I get started I'll post some pics, unless it all goes pear shaped.

I have gone for 3 ply base, here is the start after priming. Is there a way of getting the wood grain out, I thought maybe using a water down wood putty but I'm, not sure.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_4862.JPG
    IMG_4862.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 201
Started on the inside of the shed and apart from finding out I can't paint straight lines. Hopefully the cladding will hide the terrible workmanship in the end.

So where did it all go wrong, firstly my ambition is more than my talent.

I tried masking tape but cutting a 1mm line was proving difficult and in areas resulting in bleeding under the tape, had a 1mm masking tape and tried painting that and sticking it down but that didn't work.

Tried free hand with a thin brush - wrong answer and finally a bow pen, the bow pen was actual pretty good with a bit more practice should get some reasonable results.

Well onto the structure next.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_4923.JPG
    IMG_4923.JPG
    362.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_4925.JPG
    IMG_4925.JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 196
Here's a couple of tips: search for "pin striping tape". I don't remember where , but I picked up a couple of 1mm tape rolls at a reasonable price. Second, put your tape down, give it a light coat of the background color paint, then apply the accent paint. Using the background color first prevents the "bleed under".

Talent is one thing, but experience helps an awful lot. SO don't get discouraged if your first few attempts don't match your ambition. ;)

Hi

Managed to get some time to progress this shed a bit further. Not too happy about the portal frames, they are to scale in width and depth, but I have made the flanges and web oversized to give it a bit of strength. Not sure if I should make the portal frames oversized.

Not to work out the flooring, should I print the webforge or 3D print it?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_5240.JPG
    IMG_5240.JPG
    326.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_5241.JPG
    IMG_5241.JPG
    344.8 KB · Views: 153

Back