Rapido SW1200 Locomotives - Out of the Box Running Problems

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Hello to all.

I have a question regarding the new release of the Rapido SW1200 locomotives. I read or heard that some or many of the locomotive have rough running out of the box due only to excess lube on the wheel-sets. Once the wheel-sets are cleaned the locomotives will run like a Rapido locomotive should operate.

If this is true, how difficult is it to remove the wheel-sets to clean them?

I have my new Rapido MILW SW1200 sitting down by the layout room still in its box. I haven't run the critter since going down the stairs is no problem, but on the return trip, the last three steps are a problem when I run out of steam.

My second SW1200, a SOO Line locomotive should arrive here today or tomorrow. I want to get down to the train room on Friday an test the locomotives.

I was amazed at the quality and smooth running of my Rapido RDC and out of the box it functioned flawlessly and it convinced me to purchase additional Rapido locomotives.

Thanks for any advice.

Greg

Last edited:
Cant help you Greg but I'm thinking of getting one of the second releases, Ill keep an eye on your thread!
Oh, and bummer about the stairs thing!

My GN hasn't been an issue. Ordered a second undecorated one after hearing all that's in the box. Will be interested to see how our second ones do.

The axle ends get factory grease on them, which prevents reliable contact. If it's like my SW1200RS, they're not hard to take the trucks apart, you don't even have to remove them from the engine. There should be a clip front and rear in the center of the truck for each sideframe.

I opened the box of my first Rapido SW1200, a Milwaukee Road model and ran it on the test track. I'm happy to report that it ran great, especially at switching speeds. I really like the model and tomorrow it will run on the CM&N for a few hours of break-in.

The SOO model of Rapido's SW 1200 line also arrived and I test it on the work bench tomorrow as well while the Milwaukee receives its break-in laps.

Greg

My SW1200 just started running really bad. Has run great until now. Any suggestions as what to look for? Especially at low speeds. I've tried cleaning the wheels and track and it hasn't solved the problem. Other Walthers DCC engines run just fine.

Ken: I usually don't remove any locomotive shells unless they have a problem. Especially with my history of breaking off locomotive details.

My SW1200 just started running really bad. Has run great until now. Any suggestions as what to look for? Especially at low speeds. I've tried cleaning the wheels and track and it hasn't solved the problem. Other Walthers DCC engines run just fine.
What are some examples of the bad running characteristics?

Also, Rapido has a information line, fax or email that you can can for product troubleshooting.

Can't help you with what may be wrong with your Rapido loco (would have loved to have got some of the SRY GMD1 models they did a few years ago
1637233312198.png

but instead maybe a suggestion to help you with those 3 last steps. Purchase one of these and secure it in a position on the stairways structure so it will contact the appropriate anatomical area, so that if you should feel a weakness coming on, it can give the boost required. Or you could just carry it in the hip pocket
1637233797786.png

Toot, you know for sure that little gizmo actually works as you described?
Personally, I think the power of suggestion and imagination should suffice. I have heard of Farmers who have heart problems use their electric fences as defibrillators when away in a paddock.

I read somewhere, maybe on this Forum, that the first release of the SW1200's tht the gears were over lubricted or had the wrong lube that caused problems with the locomotives running. Cleaning the gears and a light lube solved the problem.

Greg

Ok I received mine and so far so good!
Only slight issue was when I tried changing the address I lost everything until I did a factory reset.
Looking into this a bit more but overall very pleased with it.

Ok I received mine and so far so good!
Only slight issue was when I tried changing the address I lost everything until I did a factory reset.
Looking into this a bit more but overall very pleased with it.
They will usually have an on-line manual for the particular decoder they use to wade through.

My PC SW-1200 from, I think, the second batch, is still on the bench, awaiting a silent decoder. I'll set up a DC test track to give it a bit of a break-in, before I install the decoder.

Thanks Rico, I'll remember the reset should any thing happen when I set the address for the cab number.....so far so good.

Greg

Back