Railroadforums needs your help

I was going to do first name and first letter of last name, but it was the birth date thing that it didn't like...trying again...

<edit> I can select the month, but tab only moves to the date, but that option is grayed out as is the year. I'll try another browser...
<edit2> Chrome based browsers (Chrome and latest version of Edge) didn't seem to like me, but I got with IE.

If any of you are still having problems, PM me and I’ll make an account for you.

The date thing is required by COPPA, a rule to keep kids safe online.

We don’t really care when your date of birth is, just that you are 13 or older. Make one up if you’d like.

It is a very nice place to visit every now and again, and I signed up so that my stage name will be maintained. Probably, I will lurk there a bit and not post a whole lot. I find that frequenting one forum is quite enough for me. 99% of the photos I post are my own, and I never post the same photo twice. Unless I'm drunk, or been hit in the head by a golf ball.

Even if you don't feel like posting photos, you can still comment or participate. Even something as simple as saying "nice photo!" or asking a question helps encourage discussion.

It's helping, but I can definitely use some more people over there. So if you have any interest in full size trains, please stop by and join in the conversation.

If you have some prototype photos you're willing to post, even better, we can really use them right now!

Thanks for the heads-up, I have to confess I wasn't aware there was a sister site to this. I'll be glad to contribute when I get a chance, although I'm a little reluctant to participate in "real" railroading forums. I've never been sure about how real rail crew members feel about "foamers" weighing in on their discussions.

If you have some prototype photos you're willing to post, even better, we can really use them right now!
Ok, Bob. I'll go over there and post some CN photos. BUT!, they will be re-runs that were previously shown here, which means that I was probably hit in the head by a golf ball, at some point in history. First, I have to find what topic I can post them in.

Ok, Bob. I'll go over there and post some CN photos. BUT!, they will be re-runs that were previously shown here, which means that I was probably hit in the head by a golf ball, at some point in history. First, I have to find what topic I can post them in.

It's fine that they've been posted here. There's not a whole lot of overlap between the two, since that place is pretty quiet.

As for where to post them? Start here:

If they're in Canada, then use the Canada Forum. If they're in the US, pick the one that fits, likely would be Midwest.

Oh, and don't worry about getting the forum correct. I can easily move stuff, and never complain about it not being in the right one.

I've got a pretty good amount of photos that I'll put up over there, a lot will be duplicated from here. I lost a ton of photos that I took from 2003 to 2013 from a computer mishap!:mad:. Quite a few were CN on former Illinois Central tracks around Clinton, IL area. Oh well, water under the bridge now!

I could start a political argument there.
All "arguments" are political ,someone will be offended . just make sure you choose the right subject! ICC , Penn Central merger , Amtrak bailouts .War time nationalization (USRA) . Commuter rail. Or ,the mother all political train fiascos ...The Trans Siberian Railway ..what a cluster.

In fact thats one of the main purposes of trains during the first World War , bringing larges groups of people from varing backgrounds over vast distances together ...so they can "have it out with each other " . That how the Germans defeated the Russians .The Russians had more men and guns , The Germans had more track , locomotives, and rolling stock.

Hey everybody, it's pledge week.... Just kidding. Not asking for money, just asking for some posts and photos!

This forum is taking off quite nicely, but railroadforums.com, our sister website, is still a ghost town.

I really need help getting some conversations going. If you have any interest in full size trains at all, please consider joining and posting there. I post news articles daily. If you can't think of a conversation starter, reply to one of them. Ask questions, whatever. You don't need to be an expert, I just need people talking. Once we have some conversations going, others will eventually join in.

What I can really use is photos. Some of you have some excellent vintage photos, others have more recent stuff. Anything you have of full size trains is welcome and encouraged.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated. Thank you!

railroadforums.com

RailroadForums.com - Railroad Discussion Forum and Photo Gallery
RailroadForums.com - Railroad Discussion Forum and Photo Gallery
railroadforums.com
railroadforums.com

PS- if you have any problems, or forgot your password or whatever, just PM me and I'll help. You're welcome to use the same name both places.
Are you willing to entertain suggestions about website format and content ?

Are you willing to entertain suggestions about website format and content ?

I am open to suggestions, yes. As far as formatting, a lot of stuff is locked in by the forum software. But send me your ideas and I’ll have a look.

I am open to suggestions, yes. As far as formatting, a lot of stuff is locked in by the forum software. But send me your ideas and I’ll have a look.
Its not my ideas , I cant claim credit. but if you are not familiar with this site take a look qrz.com . Most of the discussion sites that I've seen come and go but the Zed as its called has been around for quite a while , I've used it for the last 12 years and I think it goes back another 10 years? further than that. When a member posts a subject , it takes about 30 -45 days for it to drop off the front page. Members post video links / pictures which show on what is essentially a bulletin board , clicking on the pic / vid takes you right to the discussion. The swapmeet is one of the biggest draws but lately the daily trivia has been a big thing ,

take a look at it ,if you haven't already , you may find something to add to you toolbox .

Its not my ideas , I cant claim credit. but if you are not familiar with this site take a look qrz.com . Most of the discussion sites that I've seen come and go but the Zed as its called has been around for quite a while , I've used it for the last 12 years and I think it goes back another 10 years? further than that. When a member posts a subject , it takes about 30 -45 days for it to drop off the front page. Members post video links / pictures which show on what is essentially a bulletin board , clicking on the pic / vid takes you right to the discussion. The swapmeet is one of the biggest draws but lately the daily trivia has been a big thing ,

take a look at it ,if you haven't already , you may find something to add to you toolbox .

That's an interesting site and unique approach. He's running the same software as we are. Only the front page is different.
This page on his site: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php
Is the same as this page here: https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php

I have somewhat done the same thing his front page does, though to a much smaller extent. At the top of our forums page, you'll see new photos and new discussions. That's not the default, the default looks like his forums page. It's a good place to research a subject, but if you're just browsing it's intimidating.

"Zed as its called has been around for quite a while"
Well, it's not obvious, but RailroadForums has been online since 2002. Not 2020, 2002. Messsages prior to 2011 couldn't be migrated from the old software, so the oldest message you can find for the most part is about 10 years old.

We were able to move all of the photo gallery items, here's one from 2002.

So, we're not new to this. But we're constantly upgrading and looking for ways to improve.

Back