Railroad Jobs

Thats awesome, good luck logandsawman, sounds like once you get in it will be a fun learning process.

Fluff- thats pretty cool. How is the lifestyle, i was told its never a set 8-10 hour job, you always can get called in even at 130am. Ive always wanted to work for a railroad, but my son is 6 and my daughter is 4, Might be alittle tough on my family, maybe when my kids get older i can try and work for rr. I was always told working for the rr is best suited for a person that is single, or with a wife that doesnt miind you being gone all the time.

Im a diesel mechanic/foreman for a trucking company but have always wanted to run trains

im lucky because I live 18 miles away. this is a short line. home every night. I have worked nights before and surprisingly I don't mind it at all. the night is normally just swap one train for another with little switching. we always know close to when we are going to work, pretty much a set schedule.

Hey Guys,

You may as well know that I got the rejection notice before the ink was dry on the application. That is, I did not get the job.

Anyway, look at the bright side, I won't have to go back on nights!

lasm

Sorry to hear that. I interviewed with the CN several years ago for a carman job. I spent several months waiting to hear and finally got a generic you dont qualify email. I had my hopes up for a long time I would have rather heard right away

Matt

You may as well know that I got the rejection notice before the ink was dry on the application. That is, I did not get the job.
Crum bum, bummer. That is way different from how mine went. I had the job offer waiting on the answering machine before I got home from the job interview. I did have to relocate though. Are you unable or unwilling to relocate. I see bunches of conductor trainee positions open. A bunch in North Dakota and Montana.

I even see an IT management trainee position open in Topeka that I might apply for. That is a whole lot closer to home than where I am now. At least I could go home every weekend....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys, thanks for all the kind words!

We can't move right now because we moved twice this year and are shot. Previously lived in the same house for 18 years, so we are both in some kind of shock, anyway.

Decided to stay on the job I have. I had my review here friday and I guess they like what I do. Drive around in a Ford Expedition wearing a white hardhat, stop and look at projects, keep the Corps of Engineers happy. That is what I do. Just wanted to be more engaged in life.

It is great to have the support here!!! lasm

Back