Railflyer at Springfield

Chris, soon, soon... Swamped in BNSF Dash 9's right now. Finally got me some of the Details West BNSF window packs. Next up is some more parts for them, and possibly, at least one SD frame.

Well, I just put in a small order with Railflyer. I got the traction motor pillow blocks, 10' of cable, and a hand brake system. These will go on my N&W SD40-2 that I posted elsewhere on this forum. Hope I don't have to wait too long, I'm ready for them now. I spent the day with the Dremel cutting off all the cah cah that Athearn cast on the frame. I've been following some of the techinques I've seen on Brian Banna's website. Even though I've built and detailed many locomotives over the years, this is the most intense detailing job I've tackled yet. Even though I cannot afford to use all of Chris's products, I feel this is a step forward. After looking above the fuel tank in this photo, I knew I had to add the traction motor cables also.

nw1632.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy,

Sounds like a neat project, keep us posted as you move along. If any of your Traction Motor Cables go through the frame, Railflyer also has the little circles for framing that area (I know they're needed on GP units, not sure about SD's though).

Chris

Can't wait to see it! I'm hoping to do my Fuel tank/chassis/pilot/step/details order VERY soon for my SD40-2 project.

Out of stock items...

Randy,

Your initial portion of the order is in the mail as of tomorrow. It was the non-Railflyer parts that are back-ordered. Thanks for the email and we have things worked out.

All the best.

CJH

Last edited by a moderator:
New Stuff

Guys,

I have a bunch of new items ready to go:

Air Tanks. They come with GP Split, SD Split, and Standard tanks. The split versions replicate the GMDD versions with center mounted fuel fillers such as the GP38-2 spartan cab equipped CNR units and SD40's. Product numbers 6200 / 6201 / 6202.

Cab Door Handles and Latches. Even the best cabs out there lack a 3 dimensional handle and exact scale latch. We have them in plastic ready to ship. 6652 is the product number.

We have the #8 Vent Valves in stock. They are scale reproductions in injection molded plastic. They are located on the under-frame of the locomotive on all EMD, GE, and GMDD units. 6217 is the product number.

Also we have the 6207 under-frame mounted bells in stock now too.

Check them out at www.railflyermodelprototypes.com. In the shopping area you can type in the product number to easily navigate the stock listings.

All the best,

Christopher Howard
Railflyer Model Prototypes Inc.

Guys,

I have a bunch of new items ready to go:

Air Tanks. They come with GP Split, SD Split, and Standard tanks. The split versions replicate the GMDD versions with center mounted fuel fillers such as the GP38-2 spartan cab equipped CNR units and SD40's. Product numbers 6200 / 6201 / 6202.

Cab Door Handles and Latches. Even the best cabs out there lack a 3 dimensional handle and exact scale latch. We have them in plastic ready to ship. 6652 is the product number.

We have the #8 Vent Valves in stock. They are scale reproductions in injection molded plastic. They are located on the under-frame of the locomotive on all EMD, GE, and GMDD units. 6217 is the product number.

Also we have the 6207 under-frame mounted bells in stock now too.

Check them out at www.railflyermodelprototypes.com. In the shopping area you can type in the product number to easily navigate the stock listings.

All the best,

Christopher Howard

Chris, do you have plans on making a Tri-Mount sideframe for the SD40/38-2?

It took a little while, but I received my first shipment of Railflyer parts. I've started to build a CN GP38-2W, you can follow my progress right here on ModelRailroadForums.com: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=79941#post79941

If you are looking to build the most accurate diesel possible, or just looking for some detail parts, I'd check out Railflyer. Chris H has done an amazing job with this stuff, and if you're not sure what you need, drop Chris H an email and he'll let you know what is needed. He is very helpful. Thanks for the great product Chris!

It took a little while, but I received my first shipment of Railflyer parts. I've started to build a CN GP38-2W, you can follow my progress right here on ModelRailroadForums.com: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=79941#post79941

If you are looking to build the most accurate diesel possible, or just looking for some detail parts, I'd check out Railflyer. Chris H has done an amazing job with this stuff, and if you're not sure what you need, drop Chris H an email and he'll let you know what is needed. He is very helpful. Thanks for the great product Chris!

Fred, nice job! That's going to be a very nice unit. I see a few of those locomotives running around here in Massachusetts on the NECR (though they may be straight 38's... not sure) and they're definitely unique.

I attached the pilots on my SD40-2 walkway module, and assembled the fittings on the air tanks from my under frame detail set. There are some badly shot photographs here: http://milepost15.wordpress.com/

Chris

Cabs

Hi,

NYSW

Right now we just have the GMDD Wide Cab which is completed its plastic tooling. The photo-etch is my task this week to get it wrapped up and the glass cut for the cab.

We'll release the cab when these final parts arrive. All of the plastic except for the main body is here ready to ship.

There are some very cool features of the cab such as two part door latches and handles. This gives an exact 3D appearance not found on other kits. Overland is close but their handles are horribly over-sized. Our handles are exact to scale. Pull out the magnifier and see the latch detail exactly reproduced when you get yours.

As for additional cabs, I am hoping you guys support and buy our current products. This will fund development of additional items. We've spent enough to buy a large house in our area on these products already.

The one part spartan cab with attached sub-base is next in my sights. I want to offer a dash 2 version good for both the EMD and GMDD production. The difference being the "bulge" under the number-board. I plan on releasing a "Spartan Cab" detail set with the wide cab release so all of the add on parts will be ready to go.

Future cabs will depend on sales. I am a huge fan of the SD70/75 and current GE models. That is a hint of future direction.

All the best,

Christopher Howard
www.railflyermodelprototypes.com

Back