Railflyer at Springfield

Randy, everything is a kit. The frame comes in parts, you build it.

I know that, but looking at the website, I can't figure out what fits what. Maybe it's me...I must be stupid and everyone else gets it? They need to show the individual parts together in a photo, and show the application of those parts. You know...like the blown up parts diagram that comes with even the lowliest Bachmann Diesel.

bach45.jpg

From what I can see, buying all those components separately, and then buying everything else that it's going to take to build a locomotive, (Cannon, Details West, Detail Associates, and so on) It's gonna cost over three hundred dollars to build it? Too rich for my wallet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand what you mean. I'm still confused with all the different 43' 6" frame lengths.
The EMD/GMDD 43’ 6” Wheelbase Walkway / Frame Module – (C5/6:E6) Late is a core that enables you to apply the prototype specific accessories of your choice.
That doesn't help much either. However, I know Chris is cool about letting you know what you need for a certain model.

Side Sill Options

Jay,

The side sills on EMD/GMDD locomotives are an interesting study. This might help you out in figuring out what my titles mean.

The side sills vary widely (you will not see this in RTR) and can be classified by the notch position on both sides if present, the step wells or bolster / jack pad configuration.

C4:E4/5 is the most common variation for GP locomotives. If you check out the conductor's side, (C) the end notch usually terminates under the 4th (4) stanchion from the rear. If you check out the engineer's side (E), its common to find it between the 4th and 5th stanchions. Many variations exist but the most common after this one that are dependant on the notch terminus are C4:E4 and C4/5:E4/5. These are typically early units however.

The next variations are dependant on the step wells. Our platform steps are either the narrow or wide type. Wide being found on ATSF GP39-2's for example or SOU GP38-2's. I call this a P1 version as it was the early variant of the AAR switcher steps. P2 is what I call the narrower version represented by my DP 6021. This was common on later built SOU and LIRR GP38-2's.

If you model the LIRR or Southern Pacific, then the block jack pads are of interest to you. Our C4:E4/5 B references a side sill with block jack pads. The LIRR used block jack pads in conjunction with the narrow platform steps (P2) so we also have a C4:E4/5 B P2 version. Units with block jack pads also have narrow bolster plates so we made a dedicated replica of this.

Any late production models have a uniform side sill of 5" thickness. One last feature that could be seen on notched and late variations is a slightly modified stanchion placement when the angled blower is used. We have pilot holes on the rear of the side sills for both configurations.

On SD based units you also have the Emergency Fuel Cut-off Switch to consider. Many US based roads such as the NS / BNSF have this switch dropped so the bottom forms a fish belly. We call this a DFCO as in Dropped Fuel Cut Off.

Most SD units have a C5/6:E6 side sill notch. Some early units were either C5:E5 or C5/6:E5/6. You can also find the later two combinations with dropped fuel cut off switches.

The jack pads also determine some side sills on the SD units. The SD Short Jack Pads in our inventory represent the variant found after the "Tall" jack pads and the current production "Late" version. This jack pad requires a bolster similar to the GP copy. "Tall" jack pads use a bolster plate that forms a wide open "V" between the bottom rail of the frame and side sill. The bottom plate of the GP and late SD bolsters have a section that is horizontal before making a right angle to the bottom of the side sill.

So by using some pictorial references, you can see there is great variation among the prototype that is not replicated in plastic models previous to our releases.

All the best,

Christopher Howard
Railflyer Model Prototypes Inc.

www.railflyermodelprototypes.com

Randy,

I cannot make packages for locomotives and name them ATSF SD40-2 123" Snoot for example. There are too many variations and it has to be more specific than that.

For example:

SD40-2W

There are numerous variations and for this post I will use just the walkway down for the references.

We have one coupler plate variation. A "mid" coupler pocket with an "E" Type Knuckle.

Pilots. There are two possible configurations. The change occurred in later units where the pilot under the bottom step is notched.

Steps. There are two possible configurations. Post 1976 with an angled step well and the earlier rounded one.

Jack Pads. There are three possible configurations. The tall variations with our without a hole. Then in the 53XX series the "SD Short" version was used.

All of these configurations have some overlap so its next to impossible to make a simplified bundle. Even the NS used numerous variations among its SD40-2 family. The cool thing with my product line is that its possible to have three or four units in a lash up that are NS SD40-2's but have different details such as steps, pilots, jack pads etc. Just like the real thing.

CJH

I didn't mean that kind of kit either. What I'm asking for is a basic kit consisting of frame, walkways or sills, and pilot with bolsters and coupler mounts. I would assume that all EMD Geeps from 38 to 40 use the same basic setup. Then the buyer could add upon that basic platform.

Bundles

Randy,

That is exactly what we do in the form of "bundles". You specify the road number and we will match the correct parts.

If you want a NW SD40-2 XXXX we will match the correct frame and fuel tank. Next we offer a detail bundle that will give you the correct coupler plates, pilot, steps, jack pads and tread-plate.

If you type in bundles into the search field in our store, you bundle options will be shown. After check out we confirm the unit number by email. You can always email or call if unsure of what you need.

CJH

I've taken some photo's of the (as yet) unbuilt SD Walkway Module kit I bought and posted them on my Wordpress site: http://milepost15.wordpress.com/

I'll be building up this unit as BN 6780 (in P:87 of course) and will chronicle my progress in future updates.

Randy, I arranged the components for the last photo somewhat schematically so you can get an idea what goes where. What you see there is everything that comes in a frame + fuel tank bundle (the photo-etch isn't in the schematic photo, as I didn't want to cut it out yet). I've also got a detail parts bundle and under frame parts bundle coming to me at some point. which I will post about when it arrives.

Chris Slemp

Chris H. Can your SD40-2 frame and fuel tank kits be used with an Athearn or Kato shell? I need a smaller fuel tank for an Athearn SD40-2 I've got, and thought your frame system might be easier than trying to cut the Athearn fuel tank shorter.

I've taken some photo's of the (as yet) unbuilt SD Walkway Module kit I bought and posted them on my Wordpress site: http://milepost15.wordpress.com/

I'll be building up this unit as BN 6780 (in P:87 of course) and will chronicle my progress in future updates.

Randy, I arranged the components for the last photo somewhat schematically so you can get an idea what goes where. What you see there is everything that comes in a frame + fuel tank bundle (the photo-etch isn't in the schematic photo, as I didn't want to cut it out yet). I've also got a detail parts bundle and under frame parts bundle coming to me at some point. which I will post about when it arrives.

Chris Slemp

Wow! Chris, that looks grand! Thanks for the photos and the info, I'd sure like to see more as you go along. :D What trucks are these designed to use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Chris S, that lets me see that I really do want some. I just realized I have TWO Kato SD40-2's that need a chassis. Pretty easy work too, just drop the Kato walkway, and there I have it.

Trucks

Guys,

I'm working on new trucks that fit Athearn side-frames as an short term solution with the long term mounting our own side-frames.

The issues are that none on the market are to scale with too much width and overly long gear boxes on the SD units to make them work.

Overland drives can be used in the short term however with support we can have the drive and trucks done fairly quickly.

If you are interested I would suggest getting an order in quickly as we are shipping and packaging the frames and fuel tanks now. The supply is tight.

CJH

Thanks for sharing Chris. I'm waiting for my first GP kits to arrive. I'm building a GP38-2W.

In your opinion, how easy would it be to modify the length of the frame/walkway module? I've been wanting to build a CN Slug, and the frame/walkway module looks like a great starting point, if I can reduce it's length.

Thanks again for sharing your progress, I hope to be able to show some of mine soon.

Last parts are arriving...

Guys,

We've worked through our last remaining issues with the photo-etch production related to our detail part bundles and the restock on items such as pilots and fuel tanks is in transit. Any outstanding orders will ship when these products arrive. Last minute format changes required by our supplier was the culprit but we've got things rolling...

All support is much appreciated. The frames can form the basis of many models due to the open design and use of sub-assemblies.

Take care, Fred and Chris can hopefully post more in another two weeks.

Christopher Howard

New Arrivals

Guys,

We got our new tread-plates on Monday - they look really really good! We have more stuff arriving later this week and next. Air Tanks and some other items such as the GMDD NBM Bell project. Jay - I remember you being interested in this a while back. DP 6157.

Fred and Chris Slemp - your stuff will ship as soon as we complete packaging. The new pilots and treads enable us to get most of the detail bundles finished.

This wraps up our first phase of the Locomotive Building System. We now have trucks in the works for the next phase. We do need help and support with orders on our existing products. Some orders have been held up with the new arrivals but just about everything except for the GMDD cab and a few GE items are now in stock and ready to go.

All the best,

Christopher Howard

Here's the product announcement from Railflyer, regarding trucks for the walkway modules. I spoke with Christopher last night and it sounds like he's got his hands full getting everyone's orders packaged and shipped, so I'll post this here in his stead. If anyone's been waiting to place an order, now would be the time to do it while everything is in stock. We'll see trucks sooner if the walkway modules sell. And once those trucks are out those of us who build them will have the only true to scale, operating, 1:87.1 EMD Dash 2 models.

---------

Hello,

New Product Announcement

As a part of our Locomotive Building System we are pleased to announce the
development of new accurately scale locomotive trucks for both “B” axle and
“C” axle EMD/GMDD locomotives. We plan on releasing trucks for both our
General Purpose and Special Duty based locomotive frame kits.

Some key features will be:

Multi-media kit with injection molded resin, styrene and photo-etched metal
components
Scale proportions not found in current tooling
Gearing in 14:1
Side-frame detail with options for manufacturing logos used by both EMD and
GMDD
Side-frame with a “Cast” 3D appearance
Thin profile gear box which is compatible with our drive components or existing products
Axle suspension to enable P87 operations
Options for wheel treads
Various phases and configurations will be available

Anticipated Release Date:

TBD

MSRP:

$46.49

The above mentioned products are our focus for 2008. Active development will commence shortly. The release date is floating at present as it is entirely
dependent on sales of our current product line. We have a substantial amount
of inventory on hand and all current back orders are presently being filled.
Keep an eye out for new instruction manuals and sample photos of the new
products over the next month or so.

Our locomotive kits will be broken into the following modules:

Frame / Fuel Tank
Trucks
Clean Air Room / Drive / Long Hood Cradle
Long Hood Doors / Engine Room and Radiator Components
Cab Area

Our GMDD Wide Cab might be ready by mid April depending on our latest test
samples. The cab is being extensively refined to the highest standards.
Another possible companion to our announced projects are a "Spartan Cab" and "Handrail Stanchions" to accompany our Locomotive Building Systems. However this is subject to how things pan out with our current products.

Thank you for the support and patience. You will be very happy with the end
result.

Christopher Howard

Awesome, I keep saying I'm planning to order two of the 43'6" frames, I'll get to it sooner or later, lol.

Hey all,

I got a large chunk of my Railflyer order in the mail yesterday. Photo's and whatnot are all neatly arranged on my blog at: http://milepost15.wordpress.com/

I spoke with Christopher as well, he apologizes to everyone for not sending out more frequent updates, but he's drowning in packaging right now trying to get all outstanding orders shipped. If you've ordered something, keep an eye on your mailbox, it should be there soon.

Josh... will we soon be seeing a BNSF SD unit with a scale wheelbase gracing the rails on that nice new layout of yours? I hope so :)

Chris

Back