Railfanning/Trainspotting

G'day all . A new topic if I may and mostly due to a chance meeting with a former Tasrail driver yesterday . I was once again visiting our local Cranks and Tinkerers Museum when a rather tall chap , guessing about 6'5" plus walked in , maybe 35 years old. He was looking around as my friend , the curator was intricately adding detail to a wooden ship model in the workshop so I went and spoke to the visitor . He was checking out photos of the rail section of the museum and he mentioned he was a recent driver of Tasrail qualifying in 2011 but now worked in W.A for BHP Billiton driving ES44's ,seven days on seven days off. Half an hour or so later after dissecting all sorts of rail stuff with him (Ian had also finished his fiddley ship lodel task by then) he mentioned he actually enjoys rebuilding V8 engines for his cars and building a model railway too . He reminded me of another long time driver I met a year or so ago from N.S.W. also a visitor to Ian's museum. That day we spoke not as long but touched on a subject that annoyed him about his job namely careless railfans.

. He said that day in his relatively long career over 30 years but retired by then , the totally stupidly dangerous places people get to take photos or videos astounded him . He has no issues with people taking photos though as such provided they are at least 10 -15 metres back from the track . I asked him why and he answered it like this . Things fly off trains often and a loose strap , harness , timber , coal or ore impediments can cause serious damage . Then there is potential for drug or alcohol induced people that can decide to take huge risks or want to attempt to train hop. Being at least a reasonable distance away lessens stress for the crews.. He also added that on a daily basis they are ever vigilant at level crossings but railfans even the best intended have an effect on crews .
He made a good point for photographers ,videographers in this regard , DO IT FROM A SAFE DISTANCE for everybody's safety and sanity.
I love watching train vids on the net and now though I see some stupidly close camera set ups and it's no wonder U.S. rail companies are organising train dedicated police officers to help control errant rail fans , train hoppers , dumb car and truck drivers and such .
I know Tasrail will not give you train movement info readily . They also tell you that unsafe distances from trackage is not tolerated and trespassing on company facilities without permission is strictly prohibited but allows viewing at a safe distance .
What incidents , opinions do fellow Forum'ers have on railfanners / train spotters these days... Cheers Rod.

Rodney you made some good points I had not thought of, I never considered the crew's point of view.

I do most of my train watching from the road. I'm fortunate to be surrounded by tracks; CSX, NS and the Canton railroad can be seen on an almost daily basis. I live near a coal terminal, 2 classification yards, the port of Baltimore and a small maintenance yard. I frequently drive by The MARC train (light rail) yard and lines, CSX's maintenance shop which also appears to be a classification yard and where they stage trains for the Curtis Bay coal terminal. Add to that Amtrak's northeast corridor runs a few miles from me. As I see it, I'm in train heaven.

When I was working with the rr's I learned early on to never turn your back on a passing train.
I've seen people standing way too close!
The four things I'll never forget coming off a train are
1) sticks of lumber from a bulkhead flat
2) razor sharp banding from a flatcar load
3) a top loaded container sitting cockeyed
4) a door hanging right off a boxcar

Oh, and while doing a roll by inspection kitchen water gushing from a dining car!

Being at least a reasonable distance away lessens stress for the crews.. He also added that on a daily basis they are ever vigilant at level crossings but railfans even the best intended have an effect on crews.
This is why I always wear my company provided safety gear when I go out on a photo safari. That way the crews know I am an employee and don't have to waste time filing reports about railfans taking pictures. Yes, our crews are required to report anyone near the tracks taking pictures of the trains..."even railfans".

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I always ware my company provided safety gear when I go out on a photo safari. That way the crews know I am an employee and don't have to waste time filing reports about railfans taking pictures. Yes, our crews are required to report anyone near the tracks taking pictures of the trains..."even railfans".

Is there a purpose for reporting picture takers, Is this standard for most railroads?

Since I have little interest in modern locomotives and rolling stock, almost all my train watching is done from my car, when a train just happens along.

Is there a purpose for reporting picture takers, Is this standard for most railroads?
It is enhanced security after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The idea is to help prevent someone from making plans to use the loads being transported as a weapon of mass destruction. Example, should a tank car of chlorine -- such as delivered to a water processing plant -- rupture, it can spew deadly gas for miles. Sets of photos can be used to determine traffic patterns.

And Yes I believe it is a standard policy for all class 1 railroads in the USA.

G'day , Yep 9/11 has certainly been a big part of the crackdown in recent years and I fully get that although if someone was planning on getting knowledge of track movements for terrorist purposes they could do that a lot more covertly than standing out in the open taking photos/ videos . I know it was a bit over the top as movies are but Unstoppable the movie with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine a few years ago and actual derailments of trains carrying Chemical/Biological hazards and petrolium based stuff demonstrate the potential of a train as a lethal weapon. Too many have died of course and the long term damage to major water courses , primary production areas etc is undeniable and unthinkable from train accidents and spills.
Then of course there are genuine rail enthusiasts who just love watching and enjoying working trains . Honestly , provided they do not take dumb liberties , maybe even distinguish themselves with high visibility vests or similar and don't get anywhere near, trespass or cross the actual tracks it could be safe and fun to watch the action .Common sense and not taking liberties go a long way to ensuring safety for all.
Cheers Rod.

I don't do much railfanning any more, but when I do, its from public locations, and far enough back, that I don't become a statistic on a government chart. Also, I don't want to freak out any of the train crews by being too close to the r-o-w. And if I ever do get closer to the r-o-w than I usually do, I always give a wave to the train crew, to let them know that I'm there, and paying attention.

Since I'm an old fart these days, I tend to stick to the 'railfan day' activities which are offered by local or regional historical groups, which then I can get pretty much all the close up photos I want.

although if someone was planning on getting knowledge of track movements for terrorist purposes they could do that a lot more covertly than standing out in the open taking photos/ videos ..
I don't know. There is the most frequently used spy methodology of "hide in plain sight" and "under the cover of broad daylight". Go in somewhere in broad daylight, do what you want to do, act like you belong there and know what you are doing and it doesn't attract any attention. Start loitering around, sneaking about or acting tentative, and/or doing it at night or outside of normal hours and suddenly everyone notices.

Sadly , when we get so concerned about such stuff with great respect to all , the terrorists or criminals preying on the innocent and defenseless are winning. The fear factor of 'who's on the plane ' , who is in that car or truck coming in my direction' and who is that near the rail tracks means that exactly. I hate that.

Back