Railfanning in Northern Wisconsin

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
There are quite a few things to see railroad wise in Northern Wisconsin. The following is from the Rhinelander Logging and Rail Museum.

First of all, let me apologies for the lighting on some of the pictures. The auto feature was fooled by some of the light.shadows of the trees. This is particularly disappointing on the first picture. What you are looking at is a geared steam tractor. The pilot is a pair of skids so that the timber could be pulled out in snow. Most of the logging in this area was done in the winter.

rhinelander01.gif

The next pic is a narrow guage turntable.

rhinelander02.gif

A donkey.

rhinelander03.gif

A Soo caboose.

rhinelander04.gif

An inspection vehicle.

rhinelander05.gif

And a narrow guage 2-8-0 Consolidation.

rhinelander06.gif

The following is a photo of the way freight that came past our cottage every day. The schedule was erratic and I only caught it this once. As Brakie put it,
Just think of the proud and beautiful looking WC units being replaced with the likes of that CN unit..SIGH!

cn9450.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pic's Chip, i like the steam tractor, now that Would look good up and running, i can see your point about the nice red and gold WC loco'c being replaced by the like's of the CN loco in the picture, i recon it'll need more them a coat of paint to fix that one up

Chip,

Enjoyed the pix. At first glance, that ittybitty turntable looks like a playground carousel - especially with Shane standing beside it!:D Took a few seconds before I noticed the rails.

Your last photo, and Brakie's comment about what the CN did to the once-majestic WC, reminds me of the fate of my own beloved Western Maryland after it got swallowed up and spit-out by the Chessie cat...:(

Northern Wisconsin does come across as a better place for railfanning than the southern part of the state. At least I always seem to run across more trains when I go "up there".

Back