Rail Returnee

camelback

Take a ride on the Reading
Hi, everyone. I'm Joe, and I'm returning to model railroading after a number of years doing other things. As you can see from my avatar, I'm a devotee of the Reading Railroad, in HO scale. I have a number of engines, but no layout yet; however, the room is getting built. I model both steam and first generation diesel, and I love to make my engines 'Reading specific', as they had some rather unique ones. I'm currently building my first 3d-printed loco, a Reading OE-6 center-cab diesel, and would love to hear from other modelers who've embraced this new technology. And being out of the hobby since the late 90's I have a lot to catch up on.

Howdy, I model the Reading, currently modeling the W&N Branch 1900-1905, but have model the C&F branch and other parts of the RDG. I grew up near Norristown, PA.

An excellent source of info is the RCT&HS, and the Reading Modeler website.

Nice to hear from another Reading fan, Dave. I used to live along the W & N, in Birdsboro, when they brought it back into operation to service the H & K quarry. It was so nice to see trains there every day. I model the Schuylkill coal mines; grew up in Frackville (we're the original 'frackers' - no comment) and have been involved with the area history for many years, and an old member of the RCT&HS. I live not far from the Laurel Run Railroad. Thanks for the welcome to the rest of you, too.

Cool, neat part of the country. I have a chunk of shale from the culm pile of one of the mines around Tamaqua with some fossilized ferns in it.

Yeah, I used to find a lot of them when I was a kid. Great place was the PRR grade up to Frackville, where they sliced a chunk out of the mountain.

I only have one engine that fits your period, my I4d in its 1903-4 configuration as rebuilt. Not a very good picture, but I don't have a layout to put it on yet. I figure my first picture post had to be a 'camelback'.

IMG_2009.JPG

You guys are all welcome -- Another JOE, goes by the name of BORIS has been posting a lot of Reading photos and stuff. You may want to "thumb" back over several months of this thread to find things that he has posted?

Back