Rail Paint Tool?

jrbernier

Milw Road in SW Wisconsin
:confused: A few months back, someone posted a link to a tool that was used to paint the side of HO rail - seemed pretty slick. I have 'googled' the net and have done a search on the forum to no avail.
Anyone still have that link? The tool had a pair of wipers that were loaded with paint, and it very nicely did the sides of the rail without getting the ties painted as well.

Jim Bernier

Jim

I have one of these:

rustyrailspainter.JPG

I hadn't heard of one with wipers.

I should warn you, he sells his own paints for it, they are enamel, and just a little thicker then Polly Scale paints. I think Joe's recommends you thin his brand. I tried all the colors, the rust isn't bad, but I ended up using Polly Scale rust, I didn't like the thought of having to clean out the paint tool each time with thinner.

You will want to pratice first on some throw away track. I do N scale Atlas code 55 so I had to use the thin plastic disk. I was happy with the results after I got the hang of it. I let it flow enough to cover the tie plates. Once I was done, I then painted my ties railroad tie brown. Also I had done mine already mounted and glued down on the scenery base. Again another "doing the dave™" so I would say do it on the work bench if possible. It is a time saver for sure. Some folks didn't like it, but I did. Plus Joe's is a pretty decent guy, can't remember if his name is Joe though :).

What Scale are you doing?

We WERE going to get one of those, but my father-in-law just took one of his fine brushes and some Poly-S paint and went to town, the sides of all the rails are now painted and it wasn't a big deal even without the special tool. It all got two coats, one with a rusty brown and then aged black on top - the black was applied VERY lightly, almost dry-brushed on.

--Randy

Back