Rail King 6-8-6 S-2

Disasterdj

Hello to all,

I'm a newbie looking for my first Loco and my head is spinning with all the options. I really like the 6-8-6 and after looking for about the past month I found one that was just posted on eBay...after a few emails back and forth I was able to get the seller to tell me his reserve which is $300.. Which seems like a good buy (if it goes for the reserve that is) but my question is can I get a better deal at a show or from a dealer?

This one is brand new in the box so maybe I should be looking at a used one for a better deal??

Here's the ad Desription:

6-8-6 S-2 Turbine Steam Engine by Rail King New in original box

http://bit.ly/JdkQAt

Don't know if the link I posted will work or not but it's on eBay and seller is DKcouple.... I am on a limited budget and just want to get the best buy I can... Any input would be great...... Not sure if the Rail King 6-8-6 is the best loco for a newbie but I do want the 6-8-6 or something that looks very similar.

I'd start out very basic. Your best bet is with something like a Tyco Chattanooga 0-8-0. I picked one up brand-new (30 years old) still in the box for $25.00. You can find better deals on them. If you're into diesels, there are tons of F-7s and C-Series locos that you can get very reasonably. You can find them on Ebay or your local hobby shop will usually have a box of used engines for you to choose from. If those fail, let me know what you're looking for and I may be able to work you a deal if one is in my stock.

I wouldn't mess with a big engine like the 6-8-6 until you've got an established layout going. I've noticed that larger engines tear up my unsecured tracks. As far as where to get the best deal, the best answer I can give you is be patient. Patience will get you the best deal. Chances are that you won't be able to find one of those engines in the used engine box at the hobby shop. Some internet research will show you where the best deal would be. Don't be afraid to pass up a few on Ebay because of price. Then again, the cheapest one out there may have a burnt up motor, no couplers and the front end is torn up. Or it could be someone that just doesn't know what they have.

I believe that Rail King identifies this loco as one from mth, as well as making it O gauge, 3-rail. $300 for a Rail King as a reserve, seems a little high to me. These are the "cheapest" of the mth locos for 3 rail.

Be patient. A cheaper one will appear soon.

Back