Radius Rant

Beady

I've been reading this forum for months (over a year?), and one thing has been driving me to distraction. In general discussion, people talk about various curve radii without specifying the scale. I assume, just playing the odds, that HO is the default but I can never be sure. I do N scale, so it's of more than passing interest when the topic is what car or loco can go around what curve. [/rant]

Oh crap!

I bet it's mostly safe to say it's HO scale when you hear casual reference to curves and them being a 'problem' I have not noticed any N scalers specifically complain about locos and or stock that will not take a particular curve radii. I'm a HO (LOL!) so I don't pay too much attention when I see an N scale thread, not my bailiwick!

I've been reading this forum for months (over a year?), and one thing has been driving me to distraction. In general discussion, people talk about various curve radii without specifying the scale. I assume, just playing the odds, that HO is the default but I can never be sure. I do N scale, so it's of more than passing interest when the topic is what car or loco can go around what curve.
That is a common problem with all discussions not just radius. Seems people just start talking about things assuming the reader is using the same scale as them. That is why often the first message I will add to a thread is, "What scale is being talked about here." There is a difference when the post is in one of the sections specifically designated for a specific scale. In that case the reader should assume the scale based on where the discussion is posted.

Actually radius has nothing to do with any particular scale as it's a measure of distance or length, not of cubic volume (which in fact scale is). The only thing is, what radius's will work in one scale, might be inappropriate in another, so yes, you do need to know what scale is being talked about in any discussion involving radii.

Well, since HO is the HOly scale, the blasphemy of other scales is never assumed. :D

ASSUME???
imagesbenny.jpgNEVER! Merry Christmas!

Back