QZ's ....

BCK RR

Saw this http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=156610&sid=295e8de0a9b5a0fc61f8d165323f54f9 on railroad.net.

Being that I am originally from HAMBURG, NY 14075. My house was three blocks from the EX-NYC, NEE- L.S. & M.S., PC, CONRAIL NEE - PC, EX - B.& L.E.Traction an Interurban abandoned, however some sections of the road bed and rails are still there. and EX N&W NEE- NKP and EX - PRR NEE- W.N.Y. & P. -the original-. One side of my Elementary School along with two of my classrooms faced these rail lines. Between 1962 - 2002 I got to see about 40 trains a day from my bedroom and hear another 40 at night. I and my family could get used to this daily and nightly I believe those other boneheads who live along these rail lines could do the very same!

The Railroad Companies who serve the BUFFALO, NY area Have to use the horns for the communities SAFETY Sake which they serve not theirs!

BCK RR

Last edited by a moderator:
You have got to be kidding me!!!!! This is a joke right, it has to be, NO ONE in their right mind would actually do this, would they? I mean really, some moron puts a stop to a train using its safety device to warn motorists and pedestrians just so some selfish idiot doesn't have to rush to the bathroom when the phone rings, or because some preacher has to speak up a little????

A message ... instead of putting peoples lives at risk and then Celebrating doing that, MOVE! The only thing more insidious about this whole thing is that someone actually is going to entertain the demands of these morons.

I wonder what they will do when someone gets killed or maimed because they didn't hear or see a train? Most likely come up with the excuse "...well, they knew there was a train line there, they ......" Practice what you preach!!!

Bloody unbelievable!

Possibly oddly I lived very close to the tracks for years. I had trains running all night at regular intervals. About 3 years ago I moved about 3/4's of a mile further from the tracks. I had trouble sleeping until I realized if I opened my bedroom window I could still hear my trains. My woman thinks I'm nuts, but it worked. Sorry if I got a little off topic. ( and ya, WHAT THE HECK!!!)

For the record, I live within 50' of a train line and we have a constant flow of trains (freight on average a 100 to 150 cars long). For the FIRST few months I lived here, they annoyed me. Now after 7 years, I don't even hear them. Oh, and there are 2 crossings within a 1/4 mile of us, one being a 100 yards or so up the road, so that is twice the horns we hear.

I am not going to comment on this at all. It IS New York state. I left NY almost 30 years ago and allot of people have asked why and old friends have asked me to move back since I have now retired. I think this explains another one of the many reasons why I moved out in the first place never to return.

When I worked for a short line a few years back we had a guy that lived right beside a crossing and complained about the whistle. I finally asked him how long he had lived there and he replied two years. I told him the rail line had been there for 60 years and didn't he see the tracks when he bought the house? Reminds me of people who build a house at the end of a runway and shake their fists at the planes when they land!

There is a policy where you can get trains not to use there horns a crossing called quit zones at the crossing they must be upgraded where the crossing are blocked with metal gates or and walls so car can't go around them

I am not going to comment on this at all. It IS New York state. I left NY almost 30 years ago and allot of people have asked why and old friends have asked me to move back since I have now retired. I think this explains another one of the many reasons why I moved out in the first place never to return.

Not wishing to hi-jack this thread, but I have only lived in NYS for just over 7 years and in my opinion, that is about 7 years too long. Like David, this idiotic practice, along with a multitude of other nonsensical idiocy, is one of the reasons I'd give anything to gt out of it (NYS).

Sorry BUT this post has really put a bur up my butt! This woman complains about trains using a safety device, right - so what are we going to see next from this moron?

Police, Fire and Ambulances having to switch off their safety devices when they pass her self proclaimed "noise free zone"?

Trains having to shut down and "roll" past because the noise of the cars/carriages interrupts her damn phone calls?

Hell, why not go the whole 9 yards and make it so as ANY motorized vehicle is only permitted within 1 mile of her little domain IF they have their engines turned off!

Or how about a "Musical Instrument Noise Free Zone"!

How ridiculous are those ideas? As ridiculous as this law or planned whatever the hell it is!

And what is going to happen when someone gets killed or maimed as a result of this? Massive litigation cases holding the railroads responsible? That is very possible considering this IS New York! A place where one Law contradicts another and where "Common Sense and Logic" is a thing of the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work in a rail yard daily i know more about how load trains are and i. know crews that have been in a train car wreck i also know that there are times a qz is usfull if the proper safty equipment. is installed. i know the hirer costst to install that is install is not payed for by totaly be the railroad the home owners and business.pay for them

BCK RR,

I was saying that there is no logic or common sense used in making the decision that was made, that logic and common sense is a thing of the past - it doesn't exist any more.

Rico was saying that now a days, logic only applies to things like decoders (in the electrical sense) and common sense now only means two pennies dated the same.

Essentially, we were both saying that logic and common sense no longer exists in their proper meaning, at least when it comes to things such as the decision that was made regarding your post.

Back