Quote for 07/16

leghome

Maytag "Danged Agitator"
When I was born I was so surprised I didn't talk for a year and a half.
Gracie Allen (1906 - 1964)

But when she did learn to talk, it was to become part of one of the most popular radio shows, Burns and Allen. (Anyone here remember when radio had shows and not just talk or music?

Anyone here remember when radio had shows and not just talk or music?
Oh, do I ever! :D Serials --- not just the Soap Operas, but kids' shows, too. I can remember how disappointed I was when those radio shows "graduated" to TV, and NOBODY looked like they did in my imagination. And you didn't have to sit in front of a dumb box to enjoy a comedy, mystery, or drama, either! Ah. Those were the days. ;)

I do no tremeber the radio show but have some great memories of the TV show. Say goodnight Gracie. OK Goodnight Gracie

They (Burns and Allen) started on the Vaudville stage as a team, moved to radio and then TV. It was a good run.

As for radio to TV, there was a kids show on radio where the host would call out 'Froggy the Gremlin' and your imagination supplied the little green character. On TV, it was a rubber frog bouncing up and down. Yeeechhh.

Also on radio, when the detective overvoice said, "The most beautiful girl in the world just walked through the door." You knew exactly what she looked like because it was your version. On TV, it was some producers third cousin or sqeeze...

Oh, well...
That why model railroading is such a great hobby. You supply the imagination.

Sure do remember, great show, and Claudia is right about sitting in front of the dumb box. Remember that on radio shows gestures meant nothing it had to funny and descriptive with words alone, your own imagination did the rest. There was an English show on Radio Luxemburg in the early to mid 60's called Hancock's half hour, immensely funny and so well done that I was disappointed to find out all the voices were done by Tony Hancock himself, none the less it still remained a favorite of mine while I was there.
Cheers Willis

Back