Quick Stupid Digitrax question

AllenB

My old layout was an 10x4 and I had purchased the Zephyr and it worked great. We moved and my new layout is a monster duck under...basically a layout around the walls of a room where my throttle cannot be stationary. I've got to be able to move about from place to place.
Can I still use the Zephyr and purchase a new throttle (either Digitrax or other)? or do I have to scrap this system and purchase a total new system that allows either tethered or plug in throttle?

Thanks!

EDIT...just read the manual on line (mine's packed away still). I can run any loconet throttle it seems. Are they all compatible to Digitrax? I'm trying not to break the bank and if I find another throttle that is cheaper than Digitrax..I might give that consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Digitrax has a remote plug that you can hardwire under your layout to a quick connect anywhere along the line. You can install multiple remote plugs and they are quite reasonably priced. Then you can just follow your train going from plug to plug. It takes no time at all to move from one to another. You don't have to buy another throttle, one remote is all you will need.

Zephyr

Of course you can still use your Zephyr. Depending upon what you plan, all you have to do is make, or purchase, Loconet cables and position UP5 panels around the layout. Each UP5 panel can accomodate two handheld tethered throttles. I use the UT4 throttles, but you can also use other Digitrax throttles.

Your manual the came with the Zephyr has a very good explanation towards the back of the manual that shows how to layout and connect everything. A visit to the Digitrax site should help. Here's the link:
www.digitrax.com

Hope this helps.

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course you can still use your Zephyr. Depending upon what you plan, all you have to do is make, or purchase, Loconet cables and position UP5 panels around the layout. Each UP5 panel can accomodate two handheld tethered throttles. I use the UT4 throttles, but you can also use other Digitrax throttles.

Your manual the came with the Zephyr has a very good explanation towards the back of the manual that shows how to layout and connect everything. A visit to the Digitrax site should help. Here's the link:
www.digitrax.com

Hope this helps.

Roy

Thanks Roy..I'm looking it over now. The UP5s are 18 bucks each. Can I simply wire a phone jack (is this the same type plug?).

We are in that same situation. We use to just have a 4x8 but now we will have a 16x16x18 U shaped layout. We were going to use the port to port method, but we decided to save up a bit and purchase the wireless controller from digitrax. While it is more expensive, we decided it would be worth it.

Thanks Roy..I'm looking it over now. The UP5s are 18 bucks each. Can I simply wire a phone jack (is this the same type plug?).

No, you must use the cables and jacks like the ones from Digitrax. I forget the name, but they are different than the phone jacks.

Roy

You can use the multi conductor phone cable. I use it on mine, but you need to know there are accessories you can damage when you connect them via the phone cord. Atlas makes the wires as well as Digitrax. The difference is on a phone cord the wires are reversed, and on the regular loconet wires the connections are reversed on one end so all the polarities will match throughout the system.

Back