questions for UP modelers...

first, what would you guys I get for a good mid end steamer to pull some heavyweights I have? nothing huge like a big boy, and my budget isnt huge either... but I would like something nice to haul them.

second, what do you guys do about color missmatching between brands? and for that matter, which manufacturer is most color accurate? for instance, compared to the bmann spectrum stuff I have, the proto 2000 e6 I have has a more orange hue of yellow, and a lighter grey, where the bmann stuff has a yellower yellow and darker greys.

third, for not a ton of money, whats out there for good streamlined UP cars?

Color (or colour [spell checker says thats wrong, darn English:p]) is always an issue, though is should not be. What you really should compare is not the cross brand colors, but rather the color to the prototype. After all colors fade, and tones change. Manufacturer colors depend on the blend, and the prototype they copied.

Mid range you say? Try a 2-6-0 up to a 4-8-4. IHC has quite a few, though I'm not sure of the quality.

and thanks again man. I was thinking that I should compare to prototype, but that poses an issue... the discrepancies are so minor at times, that it would be hard to compare to pictures offline (as every display will diplay colors slightly differently, based on color profiles, as well as every camera and lighting condition will capture slightly differently.... and being out east, UP colors are hard to come by first hand. my inclination was to think that the higher quality brand is likely more accurate, but this doesnt always seem to be the case.

Mhmm. I prefer the Proto 2000 tone more myself, the Bachmann tone on my DDA40X is the middle ground, my Athearn SD40T-2 is fairly dark. Thats dark, as in GOLD, I think the yellow might be a little off, but then again, as I said before, it probably does match something.

Well I can help ya out here since UP is what is in my stables....

Josh is pointing you in a good direction. For a good reliable performance and pretty close to prototype but some mods are needed to really match prototype. IHC. http://www.ihc-hobby.com/cgi-bin/bsc.cgi?sn=063

I have 7 of these little darlins on my roster. Some are standard series and some are premier series. All are good runners!
4-8-2 Mountain (1) modified and weathered
2-8-2 Mikado (2)
2-8-0 Consolidation (2) 1 weathered
4-6-2 Pacific (1)
4-4-0 American (1)

I want to get one of these new ones....2-10-2 with the new technology. I hear it is good!

Their passenger cars are acceptable. I am in the process of upgrading them and weathering some of them too. If you watch the website or get the MR magazine they do run specials and bonus deals. Like buy an engine and get pass. cars at a discounted 50% off deal or free. You wont be disappointed. Now not all of them are DCC ready but it can be done to make them that way. I will post a few of mine on here tonight for ya.

later!

thanks guys! lots of good info... how good are those IHC steamers? those are awesome prices on the website... even some cheaper on ebay.... wow.

IHC steamers are good value. They don't have the detail level as the P2K and Athearn Genesis steamers, but they're eminently serviceable. You can go with either a 4-6-2, or 4-8-2. Either would be fine to pull a few heavyweight cars.

Kennedy

You will have to forgive these pics are not very good I took them quickly...
they are taken on my "backshop table" where I do test run and DCC programing on all my engines and rolling stock. Nothing pretty just that...
:eek: For those wondering yes I am using that cheap NS ez track for my back shop...:D So here I have my 4-8-2 weathered and hooked up to give it a look for ya....and it is IHC great runner too! I modified it and weathered it I have yet to finish details to the pilot light and add markers too.

oh yeah you will see in one of my pics boxes IHC...those are my Ore cars 12 per box that I got for 20 bucks each and all have different numbers:D one box of UP , one box of CNW, one box of DRG and one box of logging buggies with loads....:D Got'em at Wallyworld back in 98 in Benton, AR....

enjoy....

thank you all a ton. I just ordered a 4-6-2 pacific from the IHC website today. 79 bucks with shipping... awesome. I cant wait to see when it comes it. Alcomotive, those pics are awesome. great weathering. just there enough to look real.

I have one of those UP 4-8-2s. Got it out of the sale bin at the LHS, back in the day when I was assembling a loco (any loco) fleet. I was planning to do something with it, but it's in the storage pile.

Kennedy

Back