Questions for CBCNSfan

Nate

I want the MKT back!!
Self explanatory. He's got a huge layout, andI have a lot of questions. Really saves the PM inbox. YOu all can post your questions about it.

CBCNSfan, go ahead and show us the layout link so we know what we're talking about.

Had to run a test, I'm sure I posted to this last night, but there's nothing here this morning :confused:

Nate's question
That thing is Huge! HOw long does it take for one train to make a lap?
He was refering to my layout, and if anyone else is interested the web site is at http://www.freewebs.com/cbcnsfan/ the same as the link in my signature.

Nate despite the size, the layout is not designed for any continous running of trains. Perhaps it can be better described as a single track, loop to loop mainline with two major industry spurs and two minor industry spurs. To furthur compound this the mainline is actually two seperate routes, East and West, controled by two throttles. When a train leaves the West loops, it has to stop at the yard in order to have its power source transfered to the East throttle. It would also have to wait there until the East loop could receive it.
The two major spurs have a coal mine and a power plant as the main industrys, although this is actually a loop, the diesels would have to go through the tipple of the mine and the portals of the power plant, but there isn't enough clearance for them.

Cheers Willis

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah. First one to guess what's in my head gets, um, something. OK, it'd just e a PM(A lot of graphicsif I can find them) saying comgratulations. Shoot them! :D (I just had to have a little fun)

THe whole layout alone.
You have to be kidding! Gee Nate maybe not in my lifetime, I'll be trying but there are limits on the time I can put into it. Remember I also have to kitbash motive power and the cabooses. In the planning are at least 10 more locos 10 cabooses a bunch of hoppers. I'm hoping to complete the scenery around the walls by the end of summer then I'll start on the peninsula which will have it's own set of challenges to overcome. Then there's that old adage that states " A Model Railroad is NEVER finished" :D
Cheers Willis

If you complete your layout in a year, you're probably moving faster than the majority of folks out there. Guys who like running trains will have track down, minimal scenery, and that's pretty much it. I remember seeing a plywood pacific layout in one of the MR Planning magazines years ago; the owner said they put down the benchwork, started running trains, and probably wouldn't stop to lay down scenery.

The other end is the George Sellios types who will spend 15yrs detailing every little scenic bit, and those layouts take forever to finish. Everybody else falls inbetween, I guess.

For me, this hobby is for long-term enjoyment, and something to do post-retirement (which is a ways away, but retirement doesn't mean the same level of current income!). So, let's get the learning curve done while I can still afford it.

Kennedy

If I ever have to, willis, I'll take over
Funny_post.gif
Only over my dead body :D thats when I quit :p

If you complete your layout in a year
No way I'm just hoping to get the scenery around the backdrop done, well semi done, now when I think about the peninsula my teeth start chattering
19.gif
then I stutter :D I've been at this thing for several years now. :rolleyes:
For some reason I really enjoy the construction and kitbashing more than running the trains but I think that will change soon because of outside pressures from others to see something running on it.
Cheers Willis

Back