Questions about "errors" on the KATO RS-2

Diesel Power

Again, being new to the model railroading hobby does anybody know what is considered "wrong" as far as correct and incorrect detailing on the HO KATO RS-2's? I have two - one UP and the other CP.

I bought them new after hearing nothing but praise about their quality. After doing a "search" in here I find out the quality perhaps is only in the mechanical end of their product...right?

Oh, and I own two HO KATO SD40-2. If anyone knows what is "wrong" with these please feel free to tell me so I will be aware of any improper details with them.

Thank you, and please excuse me for my lack of knowledge.

I'm not sure about the RS-2. On the SD40-2 though, I believe most finescale modelers consider it to be pretty accurate, with the exception of the truck spacing. I'm told the distance between the bolsters is slightly too short as a concession to the model being able to run on smaller curve radii. Even modelers who have made their own custom frames have had to shorten the bolsters in order to give certain truck sideframe types enough clearance.

I don't know what options you would have for an incorrect RS-2, but as far as EMD units are concerned as long as the overall dimensions of a shell are accurate, you can always Cannonize it.

Back