Questions about a not known Tsunami decoder

tootnkumin

Staff member
Saw this Tsunami/sound decoder, but have not seen one like it before, obviously a hard wiring type. Anyone like to comment. e.g. what are the 2 wires at the opposite end for?

01%202_zpspnlo7y14.png

Saw this Tsunami/sound decoder, but have not seen one like it before, obviously a hard wiring type. Anyone like to comment. e.g. what are the 2 wires at the opposite end for?
I assume that is a standard DCC 9pin side plug on the left. Purple is usually used for speaker, and it looks like it is also a plug so the decoder would not have to be hard wired in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume that is a standard DCC 9pin side plug on the left. Purple is usually used for speaker, and it looks like it is also a plug so the decoder would not have to be hard wired in.

It's a bit of a vague picture, couldn't see an orange wire and it looked like there was more than 9 wires at that end. They do look like the standard type plugs/sockets with the keyways on the sides, so probably are as you say, having the speaker on it's own plug makes sense.

Found it on the Tsunami site, it's a multi-fit, general purpose TSU-1000 with 4 lighting effects outputs. Quite small, only 43mm long and 7mm thick. I see the hyper lighting effects include an LED compensation mode to adjust brightness (voltage?).

It's a bit of a vague picture, couldn't see an orange wire and it looked like there was more than 9 wires at that end.
I was puzzled by the picture too at first. Then I realized that one of the wires (the one on the bottom) is a shadow. Orange is third from the top, next to the red (second from the top). Remember that standard DCC plugs can be reversed without damage, so the grey has to be third from the bottom and the black 2nd from the bottom. White - accessory common is dead center.

Thanks flyboy, that confirms that then.

IH, they said it could also be wired to an 8 pin plug. I've ordered it, along with a couple of other items to help spread the shipping burden. (asked for a revised invoice, ebay's calculations can be horrendously over the top, even there, in order to send such a request, you have to commit to buy before you can. That is if you want to secure the item/s. You can take the chance and ask through messages, but with 7 other watchers there's always the risk someone will decide to buy it now before you can get a reply.

Back