Question regarding BN engines utilized by Union Pacific.

Calafati

Hi there,

I´d like to ask the following question: does the UP ever use BN units alongside their own engines?

The background is: I like the SD70MAC in BN´s Executive paint scheme, but I model UP. I might want a Kato or Athearn Genesis unit and MU it with some UP units.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

Theres a set of KCS belles running around the Pacific Northwest right now, :rolleyes: model what you like, they both run in the same territory, so im sure theyve been run together before :)

I read something about this in a magazine. Sometimes two railroads share (I think there is a term for this, but I can't remember it) deliveries where each contribute an agreed upon amount of motive power. They track how many locomotive operating hours are used over a period of time and often times one railroad will owe the other hundreds of hours. To even things up, the one railroad loans the other one a locomotive (or several) until they are back even. Makes it possible for KCS belles to be running around the Pacific Northwest.

KCS owes other railroad horsepower hours so it send out the newest locomotives it can. Being that I work for KCS we get to use the leftovers...... Usually ex TFM motors renumbered as KCS 3900's series. You should se some of the locomotives we get in the yard here in Shreveport. I've seen some shortline engines come through with off the wall paint schemes.......Needless to say, Anywhere there's rail there's bound to be any type of power pulling.

During times of peak traffic, railroads used to lease motive power from other lines. An AC12 Cab Forward on my Nebraska UP line? Why not?

The only question remaining is: SD70Mac - Kato or Athearn Genesis (not wanting to re-open that ole discussion yet again...) :)

I just got a used Athearn Genesis used SD70MAc BN loco and I really like the details. It's an older model and I need to convert it to DCC but I'm really happy with the details on it. I don't have much experience with Kato so I can't comment on there locos other then I've seen them at train shows and they seem really nice as well.

I would love to hear about the differences in the motors of each of these from those that know more about each.
Dave

I'd go with the Kato. The Kato has a better motor and drive train, but the Athearn Genesis wins with crisper details and see-thru fans.

As a comprimise, maybe you can put an Athearn Genesis shell on a Kato drive.

Back