Question Regarding Applying Decals onto Structures

GuilfordRailman

I’m looking to apply some Gold Medal Model’s decals to the store fronts of some of my structures. I’d like to apply them directly to the clear window panes that came with the structures. The package recommends using Solvaset decal setting solution to adhere them tightly. Will this solution work well for adhering directly to window panes?

Good question. I cannot directly answer since I have never tried it. I have always just applied the decals directly to the clear glass material without using Solvaset, and never had any issues. Simply relied on the adhesive on the decals to work. If in doubt, try an unneeded decal on a scrap piece of clear window material to see if it works. Then let us know how it worked out. Solvaset may etch some types of window material.

Good question. I cannot directly answer since I have never tried it. I have always just applied the decals directly to the clear glass material without using Solvaset, and never had any issues. Simply relied on the adhesive on the decals to work. If in doubt, try an unneeded decal on a scrap piece of clear window material to see if it works. Then let us know how it worked out. Solvaset may etch some types of window material.
These decals don’t have a direct adhesive background, they just soak in water and as they dry they adhere to the surface. I’d like to use an additional adhesive to secure them in place, just to be safe. I’ll try a test with a decal I don’t plan to use and see what happens. Need to order the Solvaset first.

I use solvaset when applying decals to rough surfaces, as it softens and bends the decal to adhere to the uneven areas.

Not sure if it is going to gain you anything if applying to a smooth surface like a window.

A littler different direction than your intention.

For years I've created art work (using Paint). Sized it and laser printed it on clear Acetate sheets. "Remember that stuff
from the old overhead transparency days?" In sample photo below the white letters POOL HALL were placed on a green background, cut to size then glued into each window opening. All the clear window signs were done this way. For a dirty rundown effect a shot of dullcote on the inside makes it.

Rosie's Bakery and El Cheapo Liquor were sized and color printed on paper then turned into a sign.

I always found it fun to look up images that might relate to your business on the internet. Copy and manipulate to your desire. The real challenge is to print (on paper), cut and fit and probably resize again. Once the size is right print using a color laser printer. An ink (jet printer) will not stick to acetate. It stays wet and smears. You won't believe the amount of art work you can download once you start looking......
Good luck
1658967818546.png

Printing white with a laser is a hoop jump for the most part. Takes a special toner - Google Ghost White toner and you can get an idea of what is needed. Not cost effective in onesy twosy stuff, better off using another color for sign/text. Or take to a place with dye sub printer and let them do it, which still might not be cost effective, but you can plan ahead and set up multiple sheets with different signage.

Printing white with a laser is a hoop jump for the most part. Takes a special toner - Google Ghost White toner and you can get an idea of what is needed. Not cost effective in onesy twosy stuff, better off using another color for sign/text. Or take to a place with dye sub printer and let them do it, which still might not be cost effective, but you can plan ahead and set up multiple sheets with different signage.
Yes - your right about white. In the case of "POOL HALL" I believe that was printed on paper ( with green surround) and applied behind clear acetate (for the glass effect). It's been a few years since I've done these acetate windows. I hope that I'm providing some inspiration to explore other alternatives for a similar result.

Yes - your right about white. In the case of "POOL HALL" I believe that was printed on paper ( with green surround) and applied behind clear acetate (for the glass effect). It's been a few years since I've done these acetate windows. I hope that I'm providing some inspiration to explore other alternatives for a similar result.
Your methods definitely are inspiring! I love what you’ve done with the signage.

I have done decals over the years but only have used the Solvaset. Never had an issue with the few windows I have applied them too. Or, I don’t remember any issues. Like Willie suggested try one out.

MOWboss, I believe I played pool in that pool hall. Great job on the windows.

Dave, I have never dullcoted a window! May have to experiment today. Thanks

I have dull coated windows on occasion. It basically dulls them like they have a thick layer of dust on them, inside or out.
Referring back to posts #3 & #4. I also don't use Solvaset when applying decals to smooth surfaces, unless they are painted which actually makes them rough.

A littler different direction than your intention.

For years I've created art work (using Paint). Sized it and laser printed it on clear Acetate sheets. "Remember that stuff
from the old overhead transparency days?" In sample photo below the white letters POOL HALL were placed on a green background, cut to size then glued into each window opening. All the clear window signs were done this way. For a dirty rundown effect a shot of dullcote on the inside makes it.

Rosie's Bakery and El Cheapo Liquor were sized and color printed on paper then turned into a sign.

I always found it fun to look up images that might relate to your business on the internet. Copy and manipulate to your desire. The real challenge is to print (on paper), cut and fit and probably resize again. Once the size is right print using a color laser printer. An ink (jet printer) will not stick to acetate. It stays wet and smears. You won't believe the amount of art work you can download once you start looking......
Good luck
View attachment 149323
Oh, that’s nice!

Back