Question re outside layouts ...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Hi Guys,

First time I have been in here so sorry if this question has already been asked and answered. Last week my wife and I were at a Zoo where they had an outside G Scale layout which is unquestionably impressive.

As I watched the loco's running I wondered what they did with the layout in Winter or when the weather turned bad, it isn't as if they could take the layout up and move it in doors. As such, how do you "winterize" or "weather proof" an outside layout that is not under cover?

Now that sir is a very good question, I'd like to know the answer myself. Would a supported covering be adequate?

Cheers from a frozen land last month to one that's being scorched, and that's not a complaint :)
Willis

The locos and rolling stock are more than likely stored inside over the winter. The track, switches, etc, ride it out in the weather. Just like 1:1.

Some of the layouts I've seen have a small door in the side of a building where track runs through. Move them indoors and the trains are stored.

I figured the rolling stock and engines would be inside, it was the track and electrics that I was wondering about, especially the electrics and joins re-corrosion etc from rain, ice and snow (in my case).

I suppose the logical solution might be to put a plastic cover of the track work, if possible, to keep the nasty stuff off of the physical track etc. Failing that, and if it is left as it is in real life, I imagine there would be a lot of "track cleaning/maintenance" before it could be used again.

Were the locos battery powered like some G scale trains? That would make track corrosion less of an issue.

CSX,

I really don't know if they were battery or not. Chances are though, they were.

Stoker,

I shouldn't have watched that vid, or the second part, I have to have one now and I think I have the perfect area for a "small" setup ...!!! :D All I have to do is convince the finance officer to let me :(

Okay guys, I have convinced myself to put in a G Scale, albeit a small one to begin with and basically an oval to get the feel of it all. So a few questions regarding what and where to buy stuff.

So, what I'd like to know is as follows:

1. What is the best type of track to buy for an outside layout, brass or aluminium or stainless steel?
2. Which of the above require the least amount of maintenance? Any such thing as "All Weather Track"?
3. Which make of track to purchase?
4. Flex or Sectional track?
5. Type of power source (DC at this stage) to run about 100' - 120' of track?
6. Standard or Clamp Joiners?
7. The best place to buy the above on line for cost as well as availability?

I'm sure I will have other quenstions, but they are the main ones to begin with. Thanks in advance guys.

If you can find a battery powered G loco, you wouldn't have to power the track. That would keep weather effects from joining electro effects from the track. You can, of course, detach power from the track when not in use and during bad weather.

Hi Guys, sorry for not replying sooner, I just didn't realize there had been replies :( I have settled on a few things, one being the track and the other being the scale. The track I am getting is LGB Brass Sectional Track, as it seemed to be the most available and the cheapest option (especially when on sale at the moment) and the scale I have gone with is 1:29th. Not the most popular scale (apparently) but USA Trains has a lot of 1:29th engines and rolling stock, also at what seems to be good prices.

Back