Question on a passanger car.

TMLW

Thunder Mt. Loco Works
I am looking to make models of the Grand Canyon Ry. older coaches. I am having the decals custom made. Photo is attached. My question is, does anyone already make this style of car? I have a few old cars that I can do a bit of kit bashing work to to make a close car, but just wondering if anyone makes one. Thanks!

I believe Athearn and Walthers offer something along the lines of the car. I also think there are a few brass offerings.

Bob

Harrimans came in lots of lengths, but there were other designs that had the turtleback roof shown in your photo. Depending on the length of your prototype, there are several offerings out there. The Roundhouse offerings are out of production. You might find them at swap meets or on e-bay. I think Walthers may offer some round roof coaches, maybe painted for the IC. An exact match will probably mean brass. You can also see if you can find the round roofs and clerestory roofed coaches, and bash them.

Thanks for the answers. I should have provided a bit more info this morning, but had to get to work. The prototype cars are Harriman style built in 1923 by Pullman. The cars are 80' long and i believe set 90 or 92 people.

I will be happy with something close enough for these cars. I have seen a very close match in brass, but seeing as I am looking to make about 14 of these, brass is not going to be an option for that many cars. I would love to, but I just don't have that kind of money right now. Might get one or 2 in brass someday if I ever stumble across one.

How about this for a starting point?

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/932-10122

The cars in your photo look like the "commute" coaches used on the SP. A model of these was done in brass, but they won't be cheap if you can find any. E-bay auctions for them are always brisk and end high. I've lost a few!

They were very simple, no A/C, so not much under the floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. Those might work as a starting point. Yes, the ones that GCR has are EX: SP.

Back