Question about protecting a product idea

M

MHinLA

Hi. Is it not enough to protect a new product idea/photo by merely describing it all right here in a forum; the time stamp showing I had the idea first ? Or, is a US patent absolutely required in order to protect it ?

'No', what ? Don't know what you are saying 'no' about. Did you mean yes, it is not enough just going by a post's time of entry ?

Remember, this is public forum, which means it is open to visitors for viewing. I would go with the safe, rather than sorry, option. You need to speak to a Patent Attorney to get the legal requirements sorted. There would be rules around what I believe is called "prior art".

If publishing an idea in a "public" place protected an idea, the Patent Office would be out of a job.

It also doesn't prove you had the idea first. I might have had the same idea a year ago but didn't publish it in a forum.

'No', what ? Don't know what you are saying 'no' about. Did you mean yes, it is not enough just going by a post's time of entry ?
No, it is not enough to protect a new product idea/photo by merely describing it all right here in a forum. You might want to do a little research on the patent process. Google is your friend.

I've always heard if it's that good of an idea to just go ahead and make/sell it .
Because once the cat is out of the bag someone will change your design in the smallest way, call it there's and "they" will make and sell it therefore beating you out of all the glory and money.
If it's really that big.............."get a lawyer" and don't tell anyone what you have or you wont have it very long.
Oh, by the way "what's your idea" ?............................LOL
JMHO T.C.

Back