Question about how much room I need for G scale

Greg from Mi.

Greg from Mi.
I have a large HO RR in the basement. I also love gardening and was thinking about an out door G scale for the summer months. How many feet do I need to turn and head back the same way?
Also do other garden RR use electric to power the engine?
Any advise would be great
Thanks
Greg

I assume you are talking a dogbone style layout? Your first decision is what are you planning to run? I own a doodlebug, a 2-6-6-2 and a Davenport switcher........the Davenport will handle 4 foot diameter, the doodlebug needs 8 foot and the mallet falls in between. So the smallest area for the Davenport would be 4 X 12 foot.......the doodlebug would need twice that at a minimum.
Most G scale run on electricity, but some use track power and some use batteries. There are some who use live steam, but they are the minority.

I would have guessed the mallet required more than 8' diameter. It's interesting to hear you can turn it in less than that. I'd also guess that most G scalers use batteries and R/F, but have absolutely no experience with the scale. Like a lot of guys I'd love to have a modest garden railroad running around the house.

The Bachmann 4 -6-0 needs 4 ft diameter. That is what is in the Big Hauler sets. You can power the G Scale railroad the same as your HO with a power pack or go battery.
Most freight cars will be ok with small radius but just like HO the long freight and passenger cars look much better on larger radius.

Bob

Back