Question about Athearn Drive Axles?

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
I have a lot of Athearn Engine Axles, but none w/good Gears.
Can I buy the gear seperate from the axle & put it on the axle shaft?
Does it need to be super glued or does it just push on?
Does anyone have a bunch(30)of gears for me to build my axle sets?
I went thru all of my trucks yesterday & everyone of them had cracked gears.
I'm trying to build up 5 dummy frames to powered frames for 5 Shells that Will Landers has painted for me. Anyone out there have what I need? I would consider powered 3 axle Athearn trucks too.:D:):rolleyes:

Larry, best way to get those replacement axles is through Athearn. Buying used ones just tends to lead to more trouble. Once you get them, they press fit on. Here's the contact info I have for Athearn.

Phone: 310-763-7140
877-422-9316
Parts: ext 122

Ask for Chuck. He's always done good by me. And have a good size list of parts. They charge a flat fee of $5.50 for any size shipment.

My LHS keeps them in stock for me. They come in packs of six gears, for less than five bucks a pack.

I've been buying a lot or almost all of my Athearn Parts from Hobby Warehouse 888-503-4677. If it's on their Ath. Parts page it has been in stock.
I get super fast shipping all the time. Sometimes the prices are cheaper than Ath. & sometimes the same price. All of my Ath. Parts suppliers are out of axle gears as usual.

Didn't some company have a re-gear kit years ago??

Yes there was a company that sold a gear kit to slow them down and give you much better slow speed control. In fact just last week at the club a guy had a gp9 blue box with a gear kit installed. The loco was gear limited to a scale speed of about 50-60 mph...and could pull a 30 car train, up grade and maintain speeds as slow as 5 mph without having to throttle up. It was a smooth runner with the gear reduction. I can't recal the mfg tho...sorry..

I have a lot of Athearn Engine Axles, but none w/good Gears.
Can I buy the gear seperate from the axle & put it on the axle shaft?
Does it need to be super glued or does it just push on?
Does anyone have a bunch(30)of gears for me to build my axle sets?
I went thru all of my trucks yesterday & everyone of them had cracked gears.
I'm trying to build up 5 dummy frames to powered frames for 5 Shells that Will Landers has painted for me. Anyone out there have what I need? I would consider powered 3 axle Athearn trucks too.:D:):rolleyes:

Larry I installed p2k gears in most of my bb locos. Imo...The p2k is a better wheel and does not pick up dirt as bad as the sintered Athens wheels. The proto gears in the trucks are near copy's of the Athens. And if I recall they all can interchange.

Yes there was a company that sold a gear kit to slow them down and give you much better slow speed control. In fact just last week at the club a guy had a gp9 blue box with a gear kit installed. The loco was gear limited to a scale speed of about 50-60 mph...and could pull a 30 car train, up grade and maintain speeds as slow as 5 mph without having to throttle up. It was a smooth runner with the gear reduction. I can't recal the mfg tho...sorry..

It is Ernst. Still around and listed on Walthers web site. About 30 years ago I installed one of their regear kits in a BB SW1200. Slowed it right down and it is still running. They also have a gear kit to replace the rubber band drives on the old Hustler and the RDC's.

As long as you're going to all this work, do yourself a favor and get some good wheels from NWSL to replace the sintered wheels that came on the older Athearn Locos. They were notorious dirt catchers. The nickel silver replacement wheels will improve your electrical contact and stay cleaner, longer.

Back