Question about Accessories

UncleJim

I'm a newbie and have an 027 three-rail train set that I'm just starting to set up. I want to buy some additional track so I can make a larger layout. My local hobby shop wants $47.00 for an 027 remote control switch (27 inch left or right hand). I searched on the internet and found the same switch selling for $19.00. Both are brand new and made by Lionel. Is there really that much of a price difference between retail stores and the internet? The internet website will add $8.00 for shipping and handling but even so, it's a lot cheaper. Or is there something else I'm not taking into consideration if i buy through the internet? Do most all of you buy your train supplies from the internet?

Welcome Jim,
I live in the UK and buy stuff on Ebay all the time, you can pick up a bargain but you have to watch what your doing, there are a few dodgy sellers who will charge a fortune for delivery, before bidding on stuff check the sellers feedback rating for negative feedback comments. the other place i tend to buy from is http://www.trainworld.com/ in NY, they have never let me down

I too have got alot from US internet stores (when the exchange rate is right) much cheaper than my LHS, look for a good store with secure transactions.

Ken.

Hi Jim and welcome!
I buy almost everything online and have had very good luck. Some will ship faster than others, but all have given me good service. I am not sure which would be the best for your scale so I'll let someone else do the recommendations. Yes, you can save a considerable amount of money by ordering online. You do have the shipping fee, but you don't have the sales tax unless it is in your state.

Back